Hutch advise

sanjeev

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time lurker and finally registered.

After a bit of advice really. We have two female guinea pigs (Joojoo & Blossom age 1 year approx) and they live in an outdoor hutch (Pets at home foxglove hutch).

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-foxglove-hutch-natural

What I'm wondering is if this is too small and if I should purchase a H&R 6ft Chartwell single luxury hutch to give them a bit more room. This past winter we had them indoors by letting them live in their run but plan on buying a c&c age for the winter and move them into my outdoor gym etc.

What I'm worried about is that due to my job I only manage to get them into a run over the weekend and that being couped up in the hutch over the week is affecting them? Hence trying to get a bigger hutch or even if there is something bigger that is more sutiable.

Hope that's ok.

Thanks

The more space you can give your girls the better, if you are in a position to upgrade them to the chart well 6ft I’d say go for it! It will give them plenty of space!

When you compare the measurements of the hutch you have ( 162x71.5 cm) with a 6ft chartwell (180x60cm) And then convert it to area, they actually cover a similar amount of floor space - 12.5 sq ft in your current hutch and 12 sq ft in the chartwell. So, they arent gaining anything by having a 6ft chartwell hutch.

A 6ft hutch is the biggest that is commercially available. Having one purpose built to come in bigger than 6ft would be your only option.

To add, the current hutch isn’t too small - it’s a great size for a sow pair. 10 sq ft is the recommended size and you’ve got 12sq ft!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. May stick with what I currently have due to the sizing being very simialr.

With regards to exercise then, do most owners put their piggies in a run everyday?

They should only come out for run time when you are there to supervise them. So if you work, then a couple of hours in an evening (if the weather is dry) either every day or just a few times a week is fine

Back