Hutch advice please

Hollybob

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post and I’d really appreciate some advice.

2 weeks ago we got 2 baby girls who are currently settling in indoors. They will live outside during the warmer months in the hutch below. We also have a run which is separate.

I was wondering what we should do with the hutch before moving the girls in. We’re going to add extra bolts to the doors and have a thermal hutch cover with clear front which will apparently keep them warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather. Is there anything else we should add to the floor or roof? Or anywhere else? I’ve checked and it doesn’t seem to leak in heavy rain, although I do intend to use the cover at night.

Thanks for any advice you might have, and hi - I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions soon :)
9642C975-0F72-4E44-A0F5-8BD85645B8F6.webp

I used to have a hutch pretty much the same as that one and a thermal cover but I really recommend that you just have them inside if possible but maybe in a run on hot days but not over night but if you can't then remember that you can't use fleece outside and my one of that went moldy round th top also if the bottom gets wet it will get really gross sometimes so maybe try to find a way to waterproof that.
I hope that I helped!

You also need a waterproof cover. I don’t know if the thermal cover will be needed in warmer months. Line the base (and up the sides) with correx, lino or something similar so their urine doesn’t ruin the wood.

Bear in mind you can’t move them outside until the night temperatures warm up.

I used to have a hutch pretty much the same as that one and a thermal cover but I really recommend that you just have them inside if possible but maybe in a run on hot days but not over night but if you can't then remember that you can't use fleece outside and my one of that went moldy round th top also if the bottom gets wet it will get really gross sometimes so maybe try to find a way to waterproof that.
I hope that I helped!
Thanks - yes, that is helpful. I’d really like them to live outdoors while the weather is good as they’ll have more space than I can offer indoors. We’re in Oxfordshire so pretty lucky with the weather (most of the time).
I’m aware the hutch isn’t the most substantial ever and I don’t expect it to last many years, but I’m hoping if I can adapt it before using it then I can have it for as long as possible. The girls will be in over winter (I’m looking at c&c cages). For bedding I currently use shavings (suitable for piggies) and hay. I intend to do the same outdoors.

You also need a waterproof cover. I don’t know if the thermal cover will be needed in warmer months. Line the base (and up the sides) with correx, lino or something similar so their urine doesn’t ruin the wood.

Bear in mind you can’t move them outside until the night temperatures warm up.
Thanks. I’d heard about vinyl. Does it need sticking down?

Thanks - yes, that is helpful. I’d really like them to live outdoors while the weather is good as they’ll have more space than I can offer indoors. We’re in Oxfordshire so pretty lucky with the weather (most of the time).
I’m aware the hutch isn’t the most substantial ever and I don’t expect it to last many years, but I’m hoping if I can adapt it before using it then I can have it for as long as possible. The girls will be in over winter (I’m looking at c&c cages). For bedding I currently use shavings (suitable for piggies) and hay. I intend to do the same outdoors.
Shavings can be safe but some types aren't some people may disagree but paper based is a better option!

My guinea pigs hutch cover was chewed up and not by them I think that the smell of guinea pigs attracted mice or something the legs of mine were also chewed up but now mine are inside

My guinea pigs hutch cover was chewed up and not by them I think that the smell of guinea pigs attracted mice or something the legs of mine were also chewed up but now mine are inside
Eeek! I’ll have to see how we get on. I’m not totally against having them indoors all year, but I need to figure where to keep them and what in

I have kept rabbits outside for 30 odd years and my piggies live in my shed. They have a hutch in the shed but have free roam of the shed itself

You will want to protect the floor by putting down vinyl or even just laying a plastic sheet (as long as they can’t get to it to chew it). I have my rabbit hutches lined with correx. My piggy hutch in my shed is one with metal pull out trays so I no longer need to protect the floor given they can’t rot.

The cover with the plastic front - you will need to be careful if it is warm/hot but wet as they really do trap heat inside which will quickly become dangerous. Just something to keep in mind.

I have gone through many types of bedding and am currently using megazorb. I love aubiose but it is hard to get hold of so I tried snowflake shavings and now megazorb and megazorb is turning out to be my favourite by far.
I use it topped with hay everywhere for my piggies; but for the rabbits now it isn’t as cold it is just megazorb and hay in one area - either method is fine.

I have not once in 30 years had problems with rats or mice.

I do have a pets at home hutch outside. It was never intended to be used outside (was originally for the piggies in the shed) but some changes happened and it has been brought out And one of the rabbits now has it as a shelter. It has been out since last August and already it is not fairing well. Ensure you get plenty of ventilation to prevent mould and that it is kept as dry as possible. My other hutches are more expensive, much better construction and wood quality - one of them has been out for 8 years and still looks as good as the day I got it.

I have kept rabbits outside for 30 odd years and my piggies live in my shed. They have a hutch in the shed but have free roam of the shed itself

You will want to protect the floor by putting down vinyl or even just laying a plastic sheet (as long as they can’t get to it to chew it). I have my rabbit hutches lined with correx. My piggy hutch in my shed is one with metal pull out trays so I no longer need to protect the floor given they can’t rot.

The cover with the plastic front - you will need to be careful if it is warm/hot but wet as they really do trap heat inside which will quickly become dangerous. Just something to keep in mind.

I have gone through many types of bedding and am currently using megazorb. I love aubiose but it is hard to get hold of so I tried snowflake shavings and now megazorb and megazorb is turning out to be my favourite by far.
I use it topped with hay everywhere for my piggies; but for the rabbits now it isn’t as cold it is just megazorb and hay in one area - either method is fine.

I do have a pets at home hutch outside. It was never intended to be used outside (was originally for the piggies in the shed) but some changes happened and it has been brought out And one of the rabbits now has it as a shelter. It has been out since last August and already it is not fairing well. Ensure you get plenty of ventilation to prevent mould and that it is kept as dry as possible. My other hutches are more expensive, much better construction and wood quality - one of them has been out for 8 years and still looks as good as the day I got it.
Not to be rude but I don't agree with housing rabbits outside you should check out Lennon the bunny or 101 rabbits on YouTube, once again not trying to be rude.

Not to be rude but I don't agree with housing rabbits outside you should check out Lennon the bunny or 101 rabbits on YouTube, once again not trying to be rude.

Nothing wrong with housing them outside if done properly with all due care and consideration given - as is the situation in my case - being outside isn’t wrong and being inside isn’t right - just as is the case with guinea pigs. It is just different and each situation requires different approaches and adjustments made so their behavioural and physical needs are met. All my animals are cared for in excellent conditions well beyond size and care recommendations and in accordance with rabbit welfare advice from RWAF, as has been the case for decades.

If they are kept outside in small hutches and forgotten about, then I agree with you, but that is absolutely not the case for any of my animals.

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice. I think I’m going to line the floor with vinyl, should I stick/nail it down?
I’ll definitely have the front of the cover up during the day if I’m not removing the cover entirely and would only have it down at night time. The hutch is in a sheltered spot so I hope this will help.
I think a shed with a window is ideal, especially during the winter. Hopefully I might be able to do this next year. I also agree that indoors vs outdoors is not a black and white subject - it really depends how it’s done. That’s the reason that I’m trying to ensure our hutch is as ready as it can be. In the future I’d go for a more expensive hutch, but this was what I could afford and I liked the fact that it’s 6ft long

We use big tarpaulins to cover when it's wet and the pigs are outside, I struggled to get covers for my hutch. I am also looking at a shed for ours to live in and creating them an area to be outside.
I recently was looking at a single hutch and was looking at correx/similar from Wickes for lining the base and sides.
We also put a digital fridge thermometer in the hutch to keep a check on them, lots of hay stuffed in and we use snuggle safe heat pads to keep them warm.
Ours are currently still in the shed and looks like they will be in for a few more weeks yet as temps overnight are not warm enough.

Yes there are some shavings that aren’t suitable but paper bedding isn’t a better option. There are lots out there and it depends on the user. Everyone has a preference. I use shavings and they’re absolutely fine and suitable for them. I’ve also used aubiose and easibed (shavings of sorts) and have encountered megazorb. And fleece when they lived indoors.

@Hollybob try to stick the vinyl down. Remember to line the sides as sows can spray pee. Remember it’s still too cold at night to put them out.

Yes there are some shavings that aren’t suitable but paper bedding isn’t a better option. There are lots out there and it depends on the user. Everyone has a preference. I use shavings and they’re absolutely fine and suitable for them. I’ve also used aubiose and easibed (shavings of sorts) and have encountered megazorb. And fleece when they lived indoors.

@Hollybob try to stick the vinyl down. Remember to line the sides as sows can spray pee. Remember it’s still too cold at night to put them out.
Thank you. I’m happy with shavings so far, but would only buy guinea pig friendly ones. I’m open to trying other bedding. When they come back in I’m tempted to try fleece but need to do a bit more research.
I don’t intend to have them out at night until it’s consistently warm enough - we had snow on Monday! 😮 I just want to get the hutch all ready beforehand.
Thanks for the tip about lining the sides. I wonder what would be best to stick the vinyl with. Any ideas?

Thank you. I’m happy with shavings so far, but would only buy guinea pig friendly ones. I’m open to trying other bedding. When they come back in I’m tempted to try fleece but need to do a bit more research.
I don’t intend to have them out at night until it’s consistently warm enough - we had snow on Monday! 😮 I just want to get the hutch all ready beforehand.
Thanks for the tip about lining the sides. I wonder what would be best to stick the vinyl with. Any ideas?
I’ve no idea I’m afraid. I stapled the lino in my piggies hutch. It would have to be something non toxic. I don’t know if something suitable for children would work. You have to be aware of any odour it may give off. You could use double sided tape, though I don’t know how strong it is...

When I had plastic sheeting, I just left it loose - I didn’t have any problems with it being loose and it did mean I was able to remove it, clean it, replace it etc

otherwise, I think I’d be tempted to staple it. staples can likely be removed much more easily without causing damage to the hutch itself, should you need to replace the vinyl at any point

Hi I am new to the forum I am putting my daughters guinea pigs into a playhouse as my daughter has grown out of not sure what to put on the floor I have been thinking of artificial grass what’s everyone’s ideas with artificial grass

Hi I am new to the forum I am putting my daughters guinea pigs into a playhouse as my daughter has grown out of not sure what to put on the floor I have been thinking of artificial grass what’s everyone’s ideas with artificial grass

Welcome to the forum

I would recommend you first out down some lino. You will then need an absorbent layer such as puppy pads, newspaper (which are best topped with something), shavings (or other absorbent products - aubiose, megazorb etc). Artificial grass will not work as it isn’t absorbent, plus they will likely chew it. Fleece doesn’t work well outside particularly not in winter as it doesn’t dry properly.

Mine live in a shed and I have a waterproof layer down (currently an old oil cloth tablecloth but will be vinyl flooring shortly) I then use a layer of newspaper, a layer of megazorb and then top it all with hay

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Last edited:
Is the playhouse indoors or outdoors? And is it secure enough that they couldn’t escape?

Back