Humping toys

fluffysal

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
George is 11 months old. He is a world champion of rumblestrutting and loves to show his toys that he is the boss. When we spot clean they get moved but he always gathers them into "his" corner of the cage. Will he get upset if I wash his humping toys? They are getting a bit, ahem, crusty. Is it better to wash one at a time?

I’ve never had experience with this myself, but I would think that washing them one at a time and leaving 1-2 days between washing each one would remove the risk of causing any upset. Does him taking his frustrations out on his toys reduce the amount he pesters his companion (if he has one)?

Absolutely! He definitely has days when he won't leave them alone. They can't run away like Boris does......

Absolutely! He definitely has days when he won't leave them alone. They can't run away like Boris does......
That’s interesting. I wonder know how many hormonal pigs would actually be capable of learning to do this, he’s actually learnt to vent his frustration in other ways than hassling cage mates. I find it really interesting how one animal can find a solution to something that causes so many issues with others.
I wonder if it is possible to encourage them to rumble at/mount a toy rather than companions. If it were possible, it could help avoid conflict in so many groups, especially when there are young boars involved, or even very hormonal sows.

Just finished a cage clean. Humping bunny is now in the wash as he had, erm.... evidence of Georges desire on him. Find out tomorrow if I can get the others clean.

Most of it came off with a hand wash as it hadn't set! His return was not well received and he was evicted from the harem. I stuck him in the hay/litter tray for ten minutes before I cleaned it and everything is good now. He is being used as a pillow.

Back