Humping and chasing

D

Deleted member 151452

Hello! I Am 13 years old and in desperate need of help. My younger guinea pig is chasing my older one and I'm not quite sure what to do.. As of right now I have built a separate C&C cage which is 2x3 to separate younger one. Was this the right decision? He is also humping the older one. he was about 3-4 weeks when I got him in June but I don't remeber how old he is right now. Is his hormones kicking in? My older piggie who is getting chased and humped is about 1 years old. is what's happening to me normal? please help!

This is totally normal dominance behaviour for a teenage piggy. They are teenagers from 4 until 14 months of age. Chasing and humping will happen now the younger one is raging with hormones. It is also a normal thing for them to do even as adults.
Separating them for these kinds of normal dominance behaviours is not the right thing to do. Please do reunite them properly (on neutral territory if they have been apart for a longer than a day).
Once they go back together you are going to see a bit of extra dominance behaviours as they reunite.

(You only separate them if they were to have a full on fight which means their bond is broken and they can never share a cage again).

Please read the guides below, and ask your parents for assistance. Sadly you are too young to have an account on this forum.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

This is totally normal dominance behaviour for a teenage piggy. They are teenagers from 4 until 14 months of age. Chasing and humping will happen now the younger one is raging with hormones. It is also a normal thing for them to do even as adults.
Separating them for these kinds of normal dominance behaviours is not the right thing to do. Please do reunite them properly (on neutral territory if they have been apart for a longer than a day).
Once they go back together you are going to see a bit of extra dominance behaviours as they reunite.

(You only separate them if they were to have a full on fight which means their bond is broken and they can never share a cage again).

Please read the guides below, and ask your parents for assistance. Sadly you are too young to have an account on this forum.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
thank you so much. I reunited them and they're still doing the same thing. I had my parents permission to create an account.

thank you so much. I reunited them and they're still doing the same thing. I had my parents permission to create an account.

Sadly your parents permission is not relevant as we have to adhere to UK laws which means no one under 18 can have an account. Your account will now be deleted, however you can still access the information on the forum as a non member to help with your situation

They will still do the same behaviours - it’s completely normal and something they have to go through

Yes, it's just how guinea pig boys are! In my experience they will hump and chase their whole lives through, even if they get on great. As long as there are no injuries, and they both seem happy overall, it's not a problem.

Back