Human interaction advice needed

Sandyshaw

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey….I’m currently getting my two sows to interact with me by lifting them, stroking and talking to them…..it’s been very baby steps for three weeks and I’m delighted to say we are progressing well…..however one of them is brilliant at long cuddles, head scratches etc and will eat small pieces of fruit from my hand and is very relaxed…..the other one is progressing much slower and will let me pick her up but the cuddles are very short only 2-3mins and then she indicates she wants away by wriggling and I always respect that when they’ve had enough….the thing is she completely refuses to take a treat from hand yet! Is it normal for one to appear almost more advanced than the other?!? I haven’t done anything different with either of them….can anyone advise me please?!? They are full siblings and the one that does appear braver is also the dominant one!

Absolutely completely normal.
My two oldest boys came to me at 4 months old. Within six weeks one of them was eating from my hand. He is the submissive piggy. The other took a year and a half before he would take food from me.

The thing with the more timid one letting you pick her up - is she staying still when you pick her up? The fact you use the word ‘letting’! If she is staying still and you are able to pick her up, then it might suggest she is more scared and is staying still through fear

It sounds like you are doing very well. Piggies naturally have different personalities, some are more bold and others more timid. I wouldn't say that one is more advanced than the other its just that one is more cautious, which is an important quality to have when you are a small prey animal. You are doing the right thing by putting her back when she asks and as time goes on she may become relaxed enough to take food from you but even then she may never be a piggy who enjoys long cuddles. Most of my pigs dont like cuddles much but will take food from me and be confident around me when not being picked up. Really its just their instincts telling them that being in the hands of a possible preditor may not be a safe place to be.

Hi

Your piggies are coming along well.
However, new piggies being brilliant at long cuddles usually screams 'uninteresting prey animal instinct' having kicked in to me, which inevitably ends up some months later with a forum post along the lines of "Why does my piggy suddenly hate me?" when they actually have started to trust you enough to communicate their real feelings.

Please take the time to read this link here. You will find it both interesting and helpful: Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

The guide is part of our practical and helpful New Owners guide resource, which includes all the little how-to advice and crucial information that tends to trip up New Owners most regularly. You may want to bookmark the access link, browse, read and re-read at need: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Back