• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HUGE guinea Pig

• Thread starter Thread starter raven13
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

raven13

I've recently adopted a one year old sheltie guinea pig and didn't realise how big she was until picking her up, she is so fat! Is there anything I can do to help her lose weight? She lives with a group of 8. She had very long back claws which we've cut so she is a lot more comfortable and walking around more. She weighs 1464g!

Just make sure she gets a varied diet and gets enough exercise. A lot of that weight will be hair though

don't worry some pigges are bigger than others. now you have her i am sure she will be getting the best care, so don't worry. she does not sound over weight to me, now her claws have been cut she will be able to run around better so that's good. give her a few week and if she is over weight i am sure she will lose it

I have a sow called Silvia who was given to me with her sister Holly when her owner couldn't care for them anymore due to private circumstances. Anyway, Silvia is huge too. She's not overweight or anything, she's just a massive pig. She's bigger than my Rex boars (and they're big). :o I think she's around or just over 3lb in weight too. She's one big mama! ;D

Hi there, i'd personally never put a piggie on a diet this can lead to problems later on :( :( :( Having a little extra can help if she ever gets ill :)
Give her more floor time with her new family and she'll be running around and popcorning with glee :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I agree with Glynis, dont put her on a diet, i've heard of much bigger pigs than yours :) extra floor time will help her if she does need to lose a bit but dont cut down her food x

Thanks for the advice. She gets loads of floor time, but seems happier just watching the other piggies lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back