How Will Bond Change When 2nd Pig Added?

Lilythepig2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello

So I’d like to get a second pig in next couple months for our four month old girl. She zooms around, plays, jumps onto my lap for snuggles and sleeps on my lap while I read or watch movies. She comes when I call her name.

When a second one is added can I expect some of this to change? Will she still come? Or we she no longer have time for me? Will she still want snuggles? And if so, will she only snuggle if the other one joins my lap as well? :D

I’m just trying to imagine what will stay the same and what might change. Either way I’ll get her a new friend though as I think it’s important for her.

Thanks!

hello

So I’d like to get a second pig in next couple months for our four month old girl. She zooms around, plays, jumps onto my lap for snuggles and sleeps on my lap while I read or watch movies. She comes when I call her name.

When a second one is added can I expect some of this to change? Will she still come? Or we she no longer have time for me? Will she still want snuggles? And if so, will she only snuggle if the other one joins my lap as well? :D

I’m just trying to imagine what will stay the same and what might change. Either way I’ll get her a new friend though as I think it’s important for her.

Thanks!

You may expect her primary focus to shift more towards her companion and her showing more signs for wanting to be back with her friend if she is in a happy relationship, but your own bond is not going to just disappear. Instead you can concentrate training the second piggy as well. If you want her with you for longer, best have both out with you at the same time. ;)

The younger your girl is, the easier she will accept a new friend.

You will still have the same bond, that won't disappear with the addition of another guinea pig. I've always had pairs and have still had pigs that enjoyed lap time, snuggles, etc. Whether to have lap time together is really up to you (and to your pigs!) I tend to do lap time one-on-one because out of my first pair of pigs, one of them did NOT share the humans. She would get really aggressive towards the other pig if both were held at the same time. I think she legitimately thought that she owned us and that the other pig was trying to challenge her authority over her loyal staff of humans. She was a very domineering pig and I'm sure my present pair would share the humans better, but over 6 years she trained me to hold pigs individually! LOL!

I wondered the same when I was gettng a friend for my Mo- now happily bonded to a naughty Lil boar called Steve. Mo (and my previous pig before him Vinnie The Guinea) had a very strong bond with myself. Both were very very tame, would seek me out for cuddles, come when called etc.

Upon bringing Steve home and bonding them immediately due to how young Steve was, I found my bond with Mo only strengthened. He seemed to say thank you. And his tameness made Steve less afraid and sped up the settling in for the new arrival. Mo is still very cuddly and does all the things he used to do with me. Except floortime which has improved greatly and he now runs and popcorning with his friend rather then always laying with me- helped him lose some weight too lol.

I wondered the same when I was gettng a friend for my Mo- now happily bonded to a naughty Lil boar called Steve. Mo (and my previous pig before him Vinnie The Guinea) had a very strong bond with myself. Both were very very tame, would seek me out for cuddles, come when called etc.

Upon bringing Steve home and bonding them immediately due to how young Steve was, I found my bond with Mo only strengthened. He seemed to say thank you. And his tameness made Steve less afraid and sped up the settling in for the new arrival. Mo is still very cuddly and does all the things he used to do with me. Except floortime which has improved greatly and he now runs and popcorning with his friend rather then always laying with me- helped him lose some weight too lol.

Aw that’s great to know! :) How long did you wait between buying Mo and Steve? And how old was Mo when you got steve?

Despite being really cuddly, Lily races and popcorns all around her play pen (its very large) when I sit with her. So I need to find someone to keep up with her! LOL she will run and popcorn for a few minutes then jump into my lap for cuddles, eat, rest then repeat with lots of cuddle in between haha

You will still have the same bond, that won't disappear with the addition of another guinea pig. I've always had pairs and have still had pigs that enjoyed lap time, snuggles, etc. Whether to have lap time together is really up to you (and to your pigs!) I tend to do lap time one-on-one because out of my first pair of pigs, one of them did NOT share the humans. She would get really aggressive towards the other pig if both were held at the same time. I think she legitimately thought that she owned us and that the other pig was trying to challenge her authority over her loyal staff of humans. She was a very domineering pig and I'm sure my present pair would share the humans better, but over 6 years she trained me to hold pigs individually! LOL!
That’s great to know! I wasn’t sure if she would cry for her friend the whole time during lap time or never come when called again lol.
That’s so funny about the pig jealousy! Lol :D I’ll remember that!

Aw that’s great to know! :) How long did you wait between buying Mo and Steve? And how old was Mo when you got steve?

Despite being really cuddly, Lily races and popcorns all around her play pen (its very large) when I sit with her. So I need to find someone to keep up with her! LOL she will run and popcorn for a few minutes then jump into my lap for cuddles, eat, rest then repeat with lots of cuddle in between haha

Mo was just over a year old when I got Steve (he had a suspected URI early on and I held back on a friend until I was certain he was alright and then the friend I originally was bringing home passed away hence the huge gap). And Steve was about 5/6 weeks old when I bought him home and introduced them.

I'm sure your Lily will love a new friend and will only love you more for giving her one. :)

Back