How to pick a friend for my 4 month old boar?

Mags00

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My little man Marlin has ended up alone as his older friend suddenly passed away at the beginning of the month. I've waited til I'm at a more stable economic situation to get him a new friend, and after finally landing a new job I am on the right track. Marlin is only four months old but very spunky, sassy and active. My older male had a bit of a hard time putting up with him sometimes.

Should I be looking for a younger or older male as a friend for him? I am leaning towards a younger male/one of his age, as Marlin clearly likes to be the boss of the pig cage and I feel like he would fight over dominance with an older male, but then again, I don't know if it's a good fit, I don't want him to stress out a younger piggy or for them to fight when the little piggy becomes a teenager himself. What do you guys suggest? I do not really have an opportunity to "try out" a bonding and then give the piggy back, the rescues and breeders do not do that here.

Useful info: my country doesn't really have great breeders (the follow the bare minimum care requirements in my country which arent a lot) and extremely few shelters have piggies. I am therefore leaning towards getting a younger piggy as a friend for Marlin because I feel like that way I can ensure it gets the best care from an early age. I've had one adult piggy from a breeder before that we found out did not receive enough vitamin C growing up and apart from it having malformed ribs, it also kept getting sick. That's why I'm leaning more towards a baby piggy, but please do tell me if I would be making a terrible choice in that because in the end I care about succesfully bonding Marlin with a friend the most.

I’m sorry you lost your older piggy.

With regards to a friend, bonding in their teens can make things more difficult but not impossible. I would consider an older boar. With a younger one, they would not yet be in their teens and that could throw a spanner in the works once they do reach their teens.

But as in all cases, the only way you’ll know is if you try them out. Would they let you try bonding before taking piggy home? If things didn’t work out, would you have space for them to live side by side? And I don’t know what the vets are like but your other option would be to have him neutered and find him a sow or two - after the six weeks post neuter.

So sorry Martin lost his friend x
I agree, I don’t know if there are any rescues near you, but boar dating with a view for Martin to choose a friend would be the best solution. Or find someone who has a single bereaved boar willing to let you try and bond, a post teenager would be best. Have you found a really good experienced vet who regularly neuters with success then perhaps bonding with a female.

I just wanted to add that you have my sympathies in finding a new friend for Marlin.
We have a similar situation in Switzerland where it is almost impossible to get an older pig, although pet shops here do sell very ethically sourced younger pigs.

I would maybe start by trying to google for available animals near you - is there some sort of online listing that is for animals?
This could be a good place to try and find an older piggy, but of course this won't come with any from of health guarantees which could be risky.

I wish you all the best in your search for a companion for Marlin.

Back