How to make them use a water bottle?

ishita

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My younger guinea pig of 2 months old is used to drinking from a bowl of water and I don't know how to get him used to a water bottle. My older guinea pig uses a water bottle, but seeing my younger boar use a bowl, he too started using it😭
Any suggestions or ideas to make them use a bottle?

You can’t make them do it. They will do what they are most comfortable with.
I suggest you simply provide both a bowl and a bottle for them to choose from.

You can’t make them do it. They will do what they are most comfortable with.
I suggest you simply provide both a bowl and a bottle for them to choose from.
Ok! Thank you for the advice!

May I ask why you would want them to use a water bottle? Is it, because the bowl and the water get a bit funky quickly?

May I ask why you would want them to use a water bottle? Is it, because the bowl and the water get a bit funky quickly?
Yes, as the bowl isn't covered and I can't check it very often, I wanted them to get used to the bottle. Also, they have a habit of turning over the bowl and spilling the water.

Use a heavy ceramic bowl.
As I say though, you can’t make them use it.

My guinea pigs use bottles but won’t use bowls, whereas my rabbits use bowls and won’t use bottles!

Use a heavy ceramic bowl.
As I say though, you can’t make them use it.

My guinea pigs use bottles but won’t use bowls, whereas my rabbits use bowls and won’t use bottles!
Ok thank you! I'll buy a ceramic one soon.

I trained my piggy to use a bottle by placing a piece of lettuce on the spout of the bottle. As he would take the lettuce, he learned that water would come out of the bottle. Thankfully, he seemed to learn very quickly, but I think some guinea pigs can't be made to drink out of the bottle if they don't want to.

I trained my piggy to use a bottle by placing a piece of lettuce on the spout of the bottle. As he would take the lettuce, he learned that water would come out of the bottle. Thankfully, he seemed to learn very quickly, but I think some guinea pigs can't be made to drink out of the bottle if they don't want to.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try to use that to make them familiar to the bottle.

Back