How to make my room smell better?

Reaction score
Hi! As you may know, I have 2 guinea pigs. I don't notice the smell, but my family does. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it smell better. I googled it, and it says you can put baking soda on the bottom of the cage before putting bedding back into it, but then I googled it AGAIN and it said that baking soda is bad for guinea pigs. What do you think?

Personally, I would not use baking soda sprinkled in the cage. I would be concerned that they would aspirate it and it would irritate their sensitive respiratory systems. Can I ask what kind of bedding you're using, how often you spot clean, and how often you do a full cage cleaning? Most people spot clean (remove and discard wet disposable bedding and pick up poos) at least once per day. Your mileage may vary on this though. A full cage cleaning at least once per week. Any fleece items need to be removed, washed, and replaced frequently. Do you have males or females or a mixture of both? I have sows myself, but have heard that boars can be a bit more stinky. You can make a big difference by how clean you keep their environment.

I second the daily or twice daily spot cleaning. I do a big clean out twice a week for my two piggies; I have a spayed sow and a neutered boar. My boar can get a bit smelly if he is scent marking the cage a lot. When I do a big clean, I leave a few used potty pads for them to realize that it is still their place. I use fleece liners as my bedding for my piggies.

I agree, dont use baking soda.
There shouldn't be a smell, so if there is then its definitely a good idea to look at the type of bedding you are using, how often you are changing it and how often you are poop picking and removing wet hay.

Personally, I would not use baking soda sprinkled in the cage. I would be concerned that they would aspirate it and it would irritate their sensitive respiratory systems. Can I ask what kind of bedding you're using, how often you spot clean, and how often you do a full cage cleaning? Most people spot clean (remove and discard wet disposable bedding and pick up poos) at least once per day. Your mileage may vary on this though. A full cage cleaning at least once per week. Any fleece items need to be removed, washed, and replaced frequently. Do you have males or females or a mixture of both? I have sows myself, but have heard that boars can be a bit more stinky. You can make a big difference by how clean you keep their environment.
Ahhhh! Thank you so much! That's exactly what I need to do! I will start that today. I have 2 Sows and I fully clean the cage once a week, Thanks for the advice!

Ahhhh! Thank you so much! That's exactly what I need to do! I will start that today. I have 2 Sows and I fully clean the cage once a week, Thanks for the advice!
No problem. Keep us posted if you have questions. Happy to help! :)

I find it's the hay that smells.. having hayfever doesn't help lol..

Back