How To Introduce One Guinea Pig To Another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering, how do you introduce one piggy to another? Say, I wanted to get a long haired piggie and a short haired one, how would I introduce them? I'm just wondering and it would be fantastic if you could help me. Thank you!

The way I always do it is by putting them in a neutral environment (so there is no territory issues) an example of this would a run and put the new piggie in first and then the older, and just let them get on with it there may be a bit of squabbling but they're just getting to know each other.
I hope this helps and your piggies get along:')

Breed doesn't matter at all! The key to a successful guinea pig bond is mutual liking and character compatibility. If you can, find a place where you can take your piggy for a meet&greet (sadly, not much in terms of piggy savvy rescues near Vancouver). Otherwise, you have to have plan B ready in case they don't hit it off.

Please also take into account that any guinea pig that hasn't come from a rescue that conducts mandatory quarantine (not all rescues do, but all of our recommended ones will), may need to undergo a 2-3 weeks quarantine first.

Are you planning to introduce boars or sows?

The best way to do it is, bring them either in the front room on a blanket because they poo a lot. But if they are near you, can keep a eye on them to make sure there is no fighting. Let them get to know each other, will be loads of humping and squeaking but it's totally normal, sounds brutal to us but normal to them, it's all dominance. Make sure if you don't want babies they are the same sex or neutered. Guinea pigs can have pups at a early age. Do that a few times and should be able to become happy room mates x

I'm planning to introduce sows, because I heard that they are less likely to have permanent fall outs.

I would recommend that when you cannot let the piggies choose each other to go for at least one not yet fully grown/subadult piggy, so the dominance is easier and more clear cut and any bonding is more likely to succeed.

Don't rush the introduction; let your new piggies get to know each other through the bars for at least a day or two; it also helps when a new arrival has time to get their bearings in their new home first (a quarantine will help with that). That way, you can do your best to eliminate any extraneous stress factors that could impact on the bonding.

What if I were going to introduce boars? Would I do anything different?

Boars take longer to bond; it takes a few days/up to two weeks when fall-outs can happen at any time. Our introduction thread covers both genders and the basics are the same.

Not every baby boar is to an adult boar's taste; mutual liking/chemistry plays a big part even when bonding a baby.

You may find this boar bonding thread from a rescue lady illuminating: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boar-dating-service-wales.59233/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back