How to help new piggies scared of own cage

Kay701

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I adopted two guinea pigs on Friday. The first night I could tell they'd been out in the cage and eaten, and they started to come out a tiny bit in the day, but the second night their litter tray had fallen over because I hadn't attached it properly (have done so now, I feel so awful about this). I think this terrified them and they haven't been out even at night tonight. I'm worried they're too scared to come into the cage. I took them out for some floor time and lap time yesterday and they opened up a bit (in different ways, they're very different characters) which was lovely to see, but as soon as I put them back in the cage they just hid again and haven't been out all night. I know there's food in the hideout they're in because I put some in, but no water. They haven't touched the veggies that were outside the hideout. What should I do? I'm hoping if I do more laptime/floor time and they get more comfortable with me they'll be more confident to come out. Should I just persevere with that? The other option is that their cage has two parts, a cage with a little ramp to get out, and a C&c framed but with several other hideouts in. I moved them into the caged bit as it mimicked their previous home more and I could cover the top to make them feel safer, which had helped to encourage them out. However I'm wondering now if I should put them and their food in the other section because it won't have the associations of the tray falling over. But I'm worried they'll feel like they're in a different scary place again and this will make it worse. What do you think?

Welcome to the forum

It’s very early days and they need plenty of time to settle - you’re more looking at weeks for that to happen.

We recommend that with new piggies that you don’t do floor or lap time for the initial few weeks. For the first week just leave them in the cage to settle but doing nothing other than feeding (adding hay a few times a day and making sure it is put in the hides they are spending most time in), watering and spot cleaning. They need to get used to their new environment and learn the cage is their safe space - removing them from it too much in the initial week or so means they are needing to see other environments which could be too much for them at present. Cover at least part of the cage with a sheet or blanket so they feel more secure and put plenty of hay in that covered area.
Stuff their hides with hay so they don’t need to come out to eat if they don’t want to.

After the first week you can begin trying to offer food from your hand. Once they take it then it is a sign of trust and they are getting comfortable.
You do need to weigh them each week as part of routine care so they do need to get used to a certain amount of handling but lap time and floor time are scary experiences for piggies and the swapping from one environment (inside and then outside the cage) can be unsettling for them.
Weight checks are important because it allows you to check they are eating plenty of hay (75% if their daily food intake)

From then on and once they are settled you can try some floor time and handling if they want to (most piggies don’t like it so do be prepared for that)

What sex are your piggies?
How big is their cage?
Do they have multiple hides each with two doors?

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Okay, thanks for the advice. They're two long-haired girls, 10 months old. They were used to being handled by their previous owner so I didn't want to let that slide, is it better to stop the handling or keep it up? I'd read mixed advice about this online, with some places saying to start after a few days if they were adults and used to it. They're in a 15 sq ft c&c cage with a smaller cage inside that (about 7 sq ft), as I could cover it with blankets. Unfortunately this means they don't have enough space yet as they haven't discovered the little ramp to get out into the c&c area. There's a big hide with one door inside the cage, and two more hides in the c&c area, all of them have one door.

I would still give them some time to settle in but it’s good they are used to handling - once they are settled it will hopefully makes things a bit easier!

Can they not just have the whole c&c area rather than a smaller cage being inside at all? (A light sheet can still be pegged over the c&c). (I’m sure they will discover the ramp in time but do be aware that not all piggies will use ramps)
As long as they have full time access to a larger space it’s fine for the smaller cage to be in there for now but there shouldnt be any need for the smaller cage?

We don’t recommend the use of one door hides as it can mean the dominant piggy can trap the other inside and it can be flash point for issues. See how you go but two door hides are better.

Back