how to get piggies to trust me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
what can i do to get them to trust me have been trying to hand feed them but not going to well any surgestions please

Well do they get out of cage time ever? They need this to be "adventurous" I suppose you could say. Plus they need the exercise. Also, you need to hold them for a bit each day and let them decide what they want to do when they are out of the cage. Don't hold them in place if that's not what they want to do.. don't force them to sit in your lap.. just stroke them and talk to them nicely. Also, if you let them out (obviously in a piggy safe enviroment) and then go about your business and just talk to them they seem to come around.
Good luck!

I have found it is a really slow process so please persevere. I have had my boar for 4-5 months now and he is only just coming around! He will run around the cage like a maniac when I need to pick him up but once he is on my lap he is really relaxed.

they have not been out of cage yet as have not long had them and can not accually catch one of them we have bought them ahutch for out side so if weather good at the weekend we will give them a try so we can watch them when we try to go near the one who is a bit freaky she chatters her teeth at us and as someone said on hear get away quick

It can be a very long process, we have 5 pigs and two of them are really nervous still and they are 7 & 8 months old, one of them lays stiff as a board when you pick her up and her eyes nearly pop out, poor Smudge. the others are not too bad now but it does take ages, sorry . . . good luck with yours

yes it does take a while, some will always run away from you, but others will eventually come and greet you, the best thing is to be as quick as you can picking them up, be confident and go for it,the quicker you are at picking them up the less stressful it is for them.once you have picked them up for cuddles, they usually settle down and love the attention. I have 2 piggies that run away, but still love their cuddle time, it's just instinct for them to run away.
It is such a long process but worth it in the end,
Keep offering them food at the bars, they will eventually come and take it.

some pigs are a lot more bolder and outgoing then others most of mine have been fine to atke to us daft humans but I did ahev one called Floo who took a while he was sucha nervy pig but we are now best of freinds and he is one big mummys boy infact he nudges my hand away if I stroke his run mate then gives him "the floo stare" my daughters new piggy 7 week old duke is one nutcase he runs round the sides of the run but i am persavering with him and he is gfradually slowing down he will take soem doing but am also hoping his run mate galaxy will show him I'm no threat basically it takes time and patience

thanks for the advice but one just bits her teeth together as though to bit and i am a bit scared in case she does
;

it's very rare for a guinea pig to bite you, and you being afraid doesn't help, they probably sense it too. you need to try and be confident when handling them.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back