How to encourage ramp use?

machuandpicchumummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My outdoor guinea pigs Machu and Picchu have a 2 level hutch with an interconnecting ramp between the levels. We've had them almost 4 weeks and they've still not been using the ramp between them which is a shame as they're missing out on such a large space unless we physically move them between. The ramp is screwed in so we're not able to put a box or something at the bottom to make it less steep. If I put food at the bottom of the ramp Picchu goes about half way down but then gets cold feet and comes back up. Any advice on how to get them used to using this so they can take advantage of all their space?

Piggies are ground roaming creatures and aren’t natural climbers so ramps can be scary to them - some will use them happily, others not. This is why upper levels of hutches do not count towards the cage size and why the bottom level of the cage needs to meet size requirements.

Ensuring ramps aren’t steep is an important part.
I dont use the ramp in my double storey hutch anymore and instead they just have one bottom level now but the ramp was also one which is screwed in. I just loosened the screws enough to get some movement on it, and then was able to pop a brick under it (then tightened the screws as much as they would go) that may not work for yours but thought I’d mention it.

Making them feel secure when on a ramp is important also - If they feel they could fall off the side, then they won’t use them. Adding a barrier on the side is a good idea.
You can also can buy ramp tunnels but as they are fleece it can’t be used outside during winter

Is the ramp itself covered with anything? If it is just bare wood with the little steps made onto it, it may simply feel far too slippery for them. When I did have my ramps, I used Velcro to stick some vetbed on the ramp - that worked very well to give them plenty of grip

This guide may help Ramps in Cages

When I had a ramp in my hutch I used an old piece of carpet and stuck it to the ramp with waterproof double sided tape. Before I put the ramp in the hutch I let the piggies run all over it in the run then they were more inclined to use it as it smelled "safe". Piggies tend to follow scent spores and the carpet helped with the grip. The ramp also had a side to it that was a few inches high so they knew they wouldn't fall off of it.

Back