How To Define Areas For Sleeping And Toileting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhairi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Morning, wondered if anyone could give me some advice. We've had our wee piggies for a week now, so cute! Would like some advice on encouraging them to come out of their hidey to pee/poo? Have woodshavings all over bottom of cage with Timothy Hay over top third of cage with their willow stick hidey on top in a corner. They pee and poo a bit inside their hidey, (but also come out to pee and poo). Would rather they came out to do their business and keep their sleeping area nice and clean. Is there a better way I can lay out their cage to encourage this? Or is there something else I could put inside their sleeping area rather than hay so they have to come out to eat hay (as have read they like to pee and poo in the same area that they eat in). Can't figure out how to post a photo to show current layout. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Morning, wondered if anyone could give me some advice. We've had our wee piggies for a week now, so cute! Would like some advice on encouraging them to come out of their hidey to pee/poo? Have woodshavings all over bottom of cage with Timothy Hay over top third of cage with their willow stick hidey on top in a corner. They pee and poo a bit inside their hidey, (but also come out to pee and poo). Would rather they came out to do their business and keep their sleeping area nice and clean. Is there a better way I can lay out their cage to encourage this? Or is there something else I could put inside their sleeping area rather than hay so they have to come out to eat hay (as have read they like to pee and poo in the same area that they eat in). Can't figure out how to post a photo to show current layout. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi! You can't unfortunately toilet train guinea pigs. Most will always poo and pee in their sleeping area, which you need to spot clean regularly. If you want a quick clean area for the hay/toiletting, I would recommend a hay tray, which you line with a layer of absorbent bedding and then fill with hay for romping and sleeping in. Place the tray in the corner they use most for peeing. You can then take it out and clean it more easily on a daily basis without having to do the whole cage/hutch.

Are your guinea pigs outdoors or indoors piggies? That is going to influence your choice of bedding materials and any advice for the sleeping area. For indoors piggies, you may find fleece with a puppy pad underlay very convient for the sleeping areas. I would recommend to make sure that your two have a hidey each so they can get away from each other if they wish to. make sure that remove any softener from fleece before use, as it seals the surface.

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

PS: There are now alternatives to wood chippings available if you are interested.
Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

I waited until the guinea pigs made it clear where their preferred areas were for toileting, and then made sure to put extra pee pads or hay trays in those areas.

I found offering large hay trays that they could comfortably sit in was the key to catching a lot of their poo and wee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back