how to conserve hay

milomisoboyhood

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi i am throwing alot of hay out i am just curious if anyone has some tips to keep most of the hay lasting longer

Do you mean hay you’ve given to your guinea pigs? Or unused hay?

I’m afraid hay wastage is a part of guinea pig ownership. They will pee and pop on it so it needs changing. Although they do sometimes eat the seasoned hay, they need fresh piles to dive into. It’s for more than just eating so look upon it as an all rounder rather than just food 🙂

You can line the bottom of your hay area with cheaper hay (if it is hard and stiff, tamp it down with your hands to prevent eye pokes) and then feed the good stuff on top in a corner in smaller handfuls so they eat it rather than waste it.

It does seem a waste but I compost mine ….hay, poops and kitchen veg waste make great compost
The enjoyment my two get from tunnelling in the hay is lovely to watch

I’d never try to!
Lots of hay thrown in, lots eaten and the rest they’ve had fun with. Wet hay removed daily and replaced.
I use cheap meadow hay by the bale from a local farm to fully fill their cages. I then put in smaller handfuls (but still quite a lot of it) of a more expensive orchard hay for eating

I love to see mine burying themselves in a load of hay, they look so happy I don't care how much they waste.

Back