How To Clean?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine114

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
we have had our baby guinea pigs since last Sunday, they are getting braver but it is near impossible to pet them or get them out of their indoor hutch as they just run away and burrow deep in the hay which is understandable. So far we have done little cleans of more soiled areas of the hutch while they have run to the other end but I'm thinking of a full clean and wondering how on earth we do it when it's impossible to get them out! I don't want to stress them (or me!) so need some tips! Is it necessary to fully clean them this week or would you leave it for another week? thanks

Could you try to coach them into a tunnel or cosy and leave them in a pet carrier while you clean the cage?

That might work for one of them, one is definitely more confident than the other, I was hoping that they would be able to be picked up and put in the playpen but I don't know if that will just freak them out even more!

Maybe once they settle in you can try picking them up. Please try not to worry as it is very early days.

Thanks, it's more the cleaning I was worried about - will they be ok for another week if we just keep spot cleaning the hutch? We've got a cuddle cushion but I think I'm going to look for a couple of smaller cosies and then put them in the hutch so they are used to them, might make it easier

Thanks, it's more the cleaning I was worried about - will they be ok for another week if we just keep spot cleaning the hutch? We've got a cuddle cushion but I think I'm going to look for a couple of smaller cosies and then put them in the hutch so they are used to them, might make it easier

Yeah that's what I thought... Hmm we will have to think of a way... I suppose If we somehow manage to get the more skittish one out by tempting him with lettuce or something then maybe he will realise being out isn't so bad after all?! Ha I can hope!

Piggies are so shy and dislike being picked up but once held they can enjoy it. I think you just have to try and coach them into something and not be too worried.

Ok thanks very much, this is all very helpful! If they hide in hay is it ok to move the hay to find them?

I was thinking if we could get them into the playpen then we can put some hay in there and the tunnel from their hutch, and I can turn the cuddle cushion sort of upside down and the way it is shaped means it could be a little hidey for them as well.

Does that sound like a plan haha?!

Piggies are so shy and dislike being picked up but once held they can enjoy it. I think you just have to try and coach them into something and not be too worried.

That sounds great. You have to move the hay if they are hiding in it. Remember you are trying to clean the cage for them, not being mean!

Thanks, I think I'm just too soft haha! I've got some towels we can wrap them in because the lady we got them from said they liked that so I can try that too.

That sounds great. You have to move the hay if they are hiding in it. Remember you are trying to clean the cage for them, not being mean!

Yeah, they're tiny too so they are doubly cute, think that's why I'm too soft and worried about them!

Yeah I was thinking that, I'll try it and see how we get on tomorrow, thanks for all the help!

Good luck!

Yay! I was more determined about it and when I got the more scared one out it turned out he actually loved cuddles more than the other one haha! Had lots of bonding time today, so thanks for all the advice yesterday

Yay! I was more determined about it and when I got the more scared one out it turned out he actually loved cuddles more than the other one haha! Had lots of bonding time today, so thanks for all the advice yesterday
Oh great! Well done to you.

Well done, once they get into a daily routine you will find they get quite laid back about things in time. I had one piggy that simply hopped into his carrier if I put it in the pen at cleaning time with the door open!........it did have veggie bribes in though.

Hello, Sunshine 114, are those your two piggies in your avatar picture? They look just like my Beano and Dandy!
Have you decided on names yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back