How to clean filthy wood hide?

4boipigs

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I have a wood hide from Small Pet Select. I bought it without realizing that I would probably have some trouble cleaning it. I have had it since May. Now it is filthy, as seen in the pics, from pee, poop, and general boar nastiness. How do I clean this, and how often should I be cleaning it? I want to try whatever I can first since this wasn't a cheap hide.

Attachments

• ew2.webp
    ew2.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
  • ew1.webp
    ew1.webp
    52.2 KB · Views: 13
Whether you will ever get it clean is probably not possible given it’s wood.
But I would recommend you get some F10 (vet grade disinfectant) and soak it in that for a few hours, then leave it to dry. The F10 kill anything that may be lurking in the wood.
I give all my wooden hides a spray with F10 (I buy the concentrate version and dilute it myself) regularly.

I paint my wooden hides with pet safe paint which gives them a wipe clean surface. I wipe them down with F10 disinfectant once or twice a week depending how marked they are. The bottom corner areas that get the grottiest tend to need a new coat of paint once or twice a year.

I have a bunch of wooden hides and they all look like this from time to time. I find giving them a wipe down with warm soapy water does the job, but a disinfectant every now and again wouldn’t go amiss.

As it looks like unpolished wood, how about scrubbing off any solid stuff then using coarse sandpaper to rub the wood down until you get to a clean layer? Then F10 and/or pet-safe paint or varnish.

Back