How To Calm A Piggy?

Rochester Piggy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I live in the states, where Independence Day is tomorrow. There are fireworks tonight, so I was going around checking on our animals, who, especially our black lab, are terrified of fireworks. When I checked on Cali, I found her sitting in a hidey trembling. I picked her up, pet her, and talked to her in a soothing voice to calm her. She wouldn't stop trembling. I brought her to my boyfriend, whom I thought could try to relax her whilst I checked our chickens. When I got back, he said she stopped trembling as soon as I put her in his arms! When he handed her to me, she started trembling again! I honestly have no idea what to do. Should I drug her? I have Baytril, Meloxidyl, Cisopride, and Metoclopromide on hand. Could these help calm her? Should me and/or my boyfriend sleep near her tonight? I have a 1x2 C&C cage I could move into the bedroom. I also have some pills I give to my dog (Alprazolam) that are made for people. Could I give one of these to her? What would the side effects be?

Don't drug her, just comfort her the best you can. I'm sure she'll be fine.

If you don't know the side effects then it could be dangerous.

Give her somewhere to hide. Whenever we have a noisy celebration I add in a few extra hides and a lot of hay. Podrick tends to disappear under there when we wants to get out of the way.

I live on a noisy street so they're used to noises anyway. But, when something really loud is going to happen I put the radio on in their room. Not loud but just enough to make the huge explosions not seem like they come out of nowhere. When it's silent a loud bang has a bigger effect.

I wouldn't move her to somewhere she doesn't know as that will make her feel more afraid. If she wants to be with you let her climb up and give her hugs.

at Silvester's Day here in my district there was a sort of a war, but closing the windows (double glasses) pets are okay... Last December I was here with a female cat (a guest! she actually belongs to a friend of mine who had been on holidays) and we saw the fireworks from the (closed) window...
Last week again, there was a party nearby with a lot of fireworks but my piggies went on eating... hidden, but not stressed.
I think our pets absorb the worry we are feeling for them in that moment, acting in a different way, fearing that they will die for the stress... pets realise when there is something different and wrong. Try to have some music into the room (not rock... not noisy music, but something which can drow out the noise of fireworks.
(the female cat is now living with her owner and last week during a great celebration in Rome, my friend told me the cat was about to die for the shock...)

Back