How to bond a nr

sunshine1981

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Honey passed away last weekend, and her sister Sunshine who is 3 and was bonded with her seems super depressed and lonely. I have read that it is best that a guinea pigs are happiest with a friend. We are going to see a piggie this weekend at a rescue and I wondering how do you find the right guinea pig and how do you help them bond? Especially because Sunshine was the alpha of the pair, and I have no idea how to get them to bond? Any advice would be super appreciated.

There is a process that needs to be followed (the guide link below explains) for bonding but the reality is there is nothing you can do to make them bond. You have to put them on neutral territory and leave it to them to decide whether they like each other. If they do and they are compatible then things will work out. If they aren’t, then they unfortunately can’t stay together.

It can be easier to try a younger piggy in the hope that she won’t challenge for dominance but it’s not a guarantee.

Is the rescue you are going to allowing you to take your girl with you to date with a new piggy? This is best because you will get an idea if things are going to work out before bringing the new piggy home. Not all rescues allow this though.
If not and you need to do the bonding yourself at home, I assume the rescue allow you to return the new piggy if things don’t work out? Or would your plan be for them to live in separate but side by side cages?

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I’m sorry you lost Honey. Good luck with finding Sunshine a new friend. 🤞

Back