How To Best Bath A Very Excitable Piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Heart for piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Need to bath Bess as her hair is quite long and getting a little matted underneath, how best to do this? Plus don't want her to get cold

A bath will not get rid of matts. Can you cut the mats out and keep her hair short? That is what I did when I had a long haired piggy.

If you trim the ends she will still have long hair. It tends to get urine on otherwise.

I know long hair looks lovely but it is so hard to keep clean and knot free.

i keep my peruvian trimmed and she is still mega cute. matting hurts them and really hurts trrying to get matts out, Not worth the hassle

I just trim Piglets back end and keep the bits over his grease gland shorter so he flows at the front. He's never had a knot anywhere other than his bum end. I used to bath him in a bowl and sink but after a nightmare incident I do him in the bath now he loves running up and down in there. x

A shower is a lot easier with a long haired piggy. Sit them in the bath and run a gentle warm shower over them! Just keep it running over them the whole time and they will stay warm enough. Knots will simply have to be cut out as others have said - she will get upset if you try and tease them out with a brush as it will always pull. On a daily basis, try one of those cheap plastic combs you can get in places like Boots for keeping her hair matt free, works a treat.

Also, don't forget her 'trousers'! Even the shorter hair on their back legs gets knots.

Gave Bess and her trousers a trim, don't think she is talking to me now, she pretty much hated it, but I know it's for the best!

Haven't got one of her after the chop, her fur is mental and really fluffy she's not a long long haired but she's not a normal Abby I don't think either bit of both maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back