How to add Enrichment

Luna&Star

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok so I have had my two piggies for about five years now, and I would play with them and take them outside a bit. But the last two years my mom has been primarily caring for them while I was away at college and military training and they didn't get out nearly enough. I now have a my own place and they are back in my care fully but I don't know how to get them used to me and being out of the cage/outside often. They tend to just get stressed out and start chattering their teeth, and I have to chase them down when I try to pick them up. I know it's healthier for them to have time out of the cage being held and being outside eating grass, and that they would be happier if that was part of their regular routine but I just don't know how to get them back into that at this point. Any advice?

P.S. I already know that they weren't being given enough attention and I feel bad about that. Pls don't criticize me for that, I can't go back and change the situation but I want to get them back into a healthy routine and lifestyle. They aren't unhealthy, they had a vet check recently in fact and have good weight and no infections or anything. They were not neglected by any means, the cage was kept clean, they lived in the living room where people were around and they were given food, hay, and veggies consistently. They just didn't get out of the cage a lot or very much djrect interaction between feeding them and cleaning their cage. They lost some of their social personality that I miss.

Being out of the cage isn’t essential if their cage is big enough. It’s lovely if they can get time in a run on grass in summer or floor time indoors during winter. But, mental stimulation in the cage is more of a priority.

Being in an open space where they don’t feel comfortable is not going to be a pleasant experience for them so there is no point in you pushing it if they dont enjoy it.

Catching should be via herding into a box or carrier

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Back