How safe is grass?

pigsters

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm an unfortunate piggy owner who does not have any grass in her garden. I know a lot of people go out and pick grass from other areas and I have considered doing it myself but I can't help but be a little bit worried.

My parents live in the country and have a lovely garden with a lot of grass to take from, but I'm very aware that foxes/deer/cats/other little rodents come through and wee (and sometimes poop, much to my dads annoyance).

So my question to you all, are any of those things going to make my cavies sick?

Fresh dog or fox pee can be fatal to guinea pigs. I sometimes have foxes pass through my garden as well as cats, hedgehogs and rodents, all could potentially carry disease or parasites. I have discussed this with my vet and we decided as grass is so good for guinea pigs it is worth the slight risk to feed it having thoroughly washed and dried the grass first.

Fresh dog or fox pee can be fatal to guinea pigs. I sometimes have foxes pass through my garden as well as cats, hedgehogs and rodents, all could potentially carry disease or parasites. I have discussed this with my vet and we decided as grass is so good for guinea pigs it is worth the slight risk to feed it having thoroughly washed and dried the grass first.

Thank you! I was going to take them to my parents as it's a 10 min car journey, and I was just going to set up a little pen for them in the garden but knowing there is even a small risk, I will just pick it and wash it. I don't have a good exotic vets close to me so anything like parasites where urgent care is needed I would prefer to avoid.

If they aren’t used to fresh grass then do be careful and don’t give them much at a time. Any fresh grass needs to be built up slowly so as to not cause bloat and digestive issues. This is particularly important in spring and autumn when grass is lush growing.

Back