How Often To Trim Nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkypanda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Grace has got really quite sharp nails now. How often should I be trimming them (they are indoor pigs so don't run on rough ground to wear them down and it's too cold now to put them outside). Haven't tried trimming yet

I just trim mine as and when they need them done.I check them weekly.

From various youtube videos I've watched it seems to range from every 2 weeks to once a month. I guess when you weigh them weekly take a moment to check their nails? I also haven't trimmed mine yet (they're 3 months old now).

I check their nails when doing weekly weight checks. They are mainly indoor guineas and i tend to trim a small amount off the nails every 3 weeks or so.

Ours are also indoor. I'm not brave enough to do it yet so we go to the vet (I also like the fact it gets them and my daughter - their 'mum' - used to going to the vet) They are almost 6 months old so still have 'baby' nails which we get trimmed about every 4-6 weeks.

Ours are also indoor. I'm not brave enough to do it yet so we go to the vet (I also like the fact it gets them and my daughter - their 'mum' - used to going to the vet) They are almost 6 months old so still have 'baby' nails which we get trimmed about every 4-6 weeks.

At what age did they have their first nail trim?
I'm terrified I'm going to wait too long. Mine are only just 3 months old now though.

At what age did they have their first nail trim?
I'm terrified I'm going to wait too long. Mine are only just 3 months old now though.
They had their first trim when we took them for a health check just after we got them, so they were about 8 weeks I think. But they weren't that bad, it just seemed sensible while we were there. I find they get really sharp after a while so that tends to be when we take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back