How often should two boars be getting veggies?

palehunty

New Born Pup
Reaction score
At the moment my 2 boars get veggies in the morning and then hay for the rest of the day. Is this enough? I’m worried I’m not feeding them enough. When I first got them they were overweight so I had kept their food intake quite low to burn the food off and now they’re at a normal weight I just wondered if I should be feeding them more for vitamin c etc or if I should just keep it the same?

The diet is unlimited hay, one cup of veg per pig per day, up to one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day. Hay is their main food so as long as it is constantly available then you are feeding them enough. Veg is merely a supplementary role in the diet.
How you feed the veg/pellets is up to you!
You can give it in one go as you are, or split it and give half a cup each on the morning, half a cup each in the evening.

I give veg in the evening, along with a hay top up. Mine only get pellets twice a week in summer (three times a week in winter) which is given in the morning if it is a pellet day. Otherwise their morning feed is just hay top up Their hay gets topped up minimum of twice a day (morning and evening) but if I’m home they may get another two top ups during the day if needed

Reactions: MnJ
My piggies have unlimited hay (obviously) a tablespoon of pellets per piggy and veggies once a day.

The diet is unlimited hay, one cup of veg per pig per day, up to one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day. Hay is their main food so as long as it is constantly available then you are feeding them enough. Veg is merely a supplementary role in the diet.
How you feed the veg/pellets is up to you!
You can give it in one go as you are, or split it and give half a cup each on the morning, half a cup each in the evening.

I give veg in the evening, along with a hay top up. Mine only get pellets twice a week in summer (three times a week in winter) which is given in the morning if it is a pellet day. Otherwise their morning feed is just hay top up Their hay gets topped up minimum of twice a day (morning and evening) but if I’m home they may get another two top ups during the day if needed
I think I’ll start incorporating pellets again!

My pair get a little bit of veg several times a day, along with unlimited hay. Pellets they only get last thing before I'm going to sleep.

My last pair got veggies once a day, usually around 5pm.

I think I’ll start incorporating pellets again!

You don’t have to if you don’t want to or at least you don’t have to give them every day. pellets aren’t needed in the diet but if you don’t feed pellets you would want to make sure the veg part is their diet has good variety to ensure a balance of nutrition.

Back