How Often Should I Wash Fleece Blankets?

Starwind Amada

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just got some new fleece blankets for my four furballs. How often should I wash them? I've only had them in since Wednesday (today is Saturday) and there's a few poop and pee stains. I did get extras for when the current ones are in the wash. Once a week? Twice a week? The poo dries quickly so doesn't stain much and I guess these guinea pigs are biologically mutates and have no need for urination because I hardly ever see wet spots.

How offen you change depends on cage size, how messy the piggies are, how good the absorbent layer is, whether you use additional pee pads under hides etc but generally changing fleece is 3-5 days or so.

You don’t really want to be seeing too many wet spots because the absorbent layer should be doing it’s job and keeping the fleece dry.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Big cage but most of the mess is hay getting thrown everywhere, not urine and poop. I have a layer of two blankets, plus foam pads underneath.

(looks at cage) Oh, neat. The hay rack is tipped over and Nugget is standing there like, "Pick this up now, slave."

If the problem is hay, I've found a brush to be useful (and more useful than a handheld vacuum). I use one that came with a dustpan and brush, and it gets all the big bits to move into the one place where it's easier to grab it in a handful to either remove it, or move the hay to somewhere else, if that makes sense.

It won't grab it all, but it will get what you need it to get.

We wash once a week.

I've never seen wet spots on fleece, it wicks the moisture through to the layer underneath and leaves the top layer dry. It's a miracle material!

I clean out the fleece in my hutch every 5 to 7 days and more often if the piggies don't go in the run daily. Atm they are having mostly duvet days because of the cold weather. The hutch is in the garage.

Back