• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How often should I give probiotic to guinea pig?

Jaxsoy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig has been sneezing a ton lately and we took him to the vet. She prescribed Baytril, and we’ve been on that for about a week with little progress. She said we can give him another 10 day dosage and see if that helps. I decided to buy a probiotic (Bene-Bac powder) because I don’t want him to get an upset tummy since he’s gonna be on it for a little while more. I’m just wondering how often should I give him it? I’ve read an hour before or after the antibiotic, but do I give him it every time I give him the antibiotic or only at certain times? I’m also wondering what is the best way to give him it?

My guinea pig has been sneezing a ton lately and we took him to the vet. She prescribed Baytril, and we’ve been on that for about a week with little progress. She said we can give him another 10 day dosage and see if that helps. I decided to buy a probiotic (Bene-Bac powder) because I don’t want him to get an upset tummy since he’s gonna be on it for a little while more. I’m just wondering how often should I give him it? I’ve read an hour before or after the antibiotic, but do I give him it every time I give him the antibiotic or only at certain times? I’m also wondering what is the best way to give him it?

Hi!

The best way to give the probiotic is by mixing it with 1 ml of water and syringing it - every time you give the antibiotic (which is ideally twice daily).
There are also other things or products you can use, like 'poo soup' (i.e. live cavy gut microbiome transfer from a healthy piggy) which is more effective if done correctly or a course of fibreplex if your piggy is actually losing their appetite completely. thankfully in most cases baytril does actually not cause any problems more than perhaps slightly softer than normal poos.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Sneezing without any further symptoms does not necessarily have to be caused by a URI but you and your vet should exclude this angle first as it is the dangerous one. allergies are rare but they can happen, including a sensitivity to pollen. Finding out what is causing the sneezing if it doesn't react to the antibiotic won't be an easy process.
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs

I recently bought my guinea pig Bene-Bac plus as a probiotic to go along with his Baytril. On the back of the package it says to feed 1 teaspoon on days 1,3,5, and 7, but I’ve read that you should give them a probiotic every time after they take an antibiotic. I’m not sure what to do here, does anyone know the best way to do this? He takes baytril twice every day.

I recently bought my guinea pig Bene-Bac plus as a probiotic to go along with his Baytril. On the back of the package it says to feed 1 teaspoon on days 1,3,5, and 7, but I’ve read that you should give them a probiotic every time after they take an antibiotic. I’m not sure what to do here, does anyone know the best way to do this? He takes baytril twice every day.

You give either a pinch (1/4 teaspoon) every time you give an antibiotic or follow the advice on the product. it is your choice.
Bene-Bac is a US brand so I am not familiar with their recommendations but probiotics are pretty much the same everywhere.

PS: Please keep any questions and updates on the same illness/guinea pig to one thread in order to avoid confusing or repeated advice. We jump between lots of different threads every day but in order to provide the best ongoing support to all members posting in the care sections, keeping the relevant information together makes our job a lot easier; especially as we are doing it for free in our free time. Thank you.

Back