• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How Often Should I Bath My Babies?

• Thread starter Thread starter EmmyBaybee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the pig. I've never bathed 5 of my pigs! My longhaired pig has a bath once every 3 months, he is only semi long! But it all depends on how smelly they are!

:)

I bath mine if they are smelly or have a skin condition :) As Louise does, my longhaireds get a bath more often than my shorthaireds because the hair round their bottom gets a bit whiffy and knotty. I trim round their bum once they have had a bath :smitten: :smitten:

NEVER unless absoutely nescressary! bathing stresses piggies, it is not needed as piggies groom themselves. piggies lose body temp easily. if your piggies are long haired a clip is easier than a bath. this is what i was told by our vet and it is also written in many of the guinea pig books i have too. but as in the other threads on here about this many will disagree with me on this subject. so we will agree to disagree. hugs and cuddles to you and your babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

i bath mine about once every 6 weeks, this is mainly because my longhairs need doing fairly often. O0
yes, a clip is better than a bath probably, but even a clip doesn't do the job if you're a bertie! ::) i do it in the least stressful way possible and mine seem quite comfortable cuddled up to me.on the GG website it says that it helps keep the skin in good condition and could help rpevent fungal problems. i've never had any problems from bathing them ;)
and unless you don't dry them off properly, i can't see there are any problems with loss of body temp. it's really up to you O0 i would definitely never wash more than that unless they had a skin prob.
here's a link to the GG website, it may help you O0 http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/Instructions/Top 5 Skincare Tips.pdf

Choloe you are in Aus and there is a different climate to here so bathing may not be important :)

Over here we are having a bad year for fungal probs, there have been lots of cases of Ringworm in particular compared to other years. As you rightly say guineas are avid groomers, unfortunately this is a bad thing when they have a fungal problem as it will spread spores to all parts of their body and has been known to affect the genitals because they have groomed there.

Bathing won't prevent your pig from getting fungal problems for certain, but it could bath off fungal spores which could have caused a problem. Also in the UK pigs are kept inside where the 'climate' may not be so humid and they will not be exposed to fungal spores so a different set of 'rules' could apply to them.

If the temperature is kept constantly warm they will not 'lose body temperature', they are, I believe far more spunky than sometimes given credit :)

Pigs are bathed according to 'climate' and conditions, all of which are different and should be judged on their own merits.

i understand about the different climates but my guinea pig books say do not bathe a guinea pig unless absolutely nescressary! and these books were written and published in the USA and the UK. so i am sorry you don't agree with me, but i was only saying what was in the books! :smitten:

I tend to bathe my lot when they start to pong. ;D Warm water in the sink is the order of the day and they get wrapped in a towel on my desk and rubbed dry before they're allowed back in the shed. If they're looking mucky and smelling of poo they get the bath treatment! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back