• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How often should a guinea pigs ear be cleaned?

interestingthoughts

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I saw a bit of dry skin on my guinea pigs ears so I will probably need to clean that soon. But beyond that how often should they be cleaned?

I saw a bit of dry skin on my guinea pigs ears so I will probably need to clean that soon. But beyond that how often should they be cleaned?

Please leave the ear channels be and see a vet in the case they are badly affected by wax (which is always the same colours as the skin of the ear), dirt or an irritation that causes your piggy to shake their head or paw at the ear. Most ears don't never need any attention apart from the weekly quick check. You can do more damage than good with any DIY treatment.

With rabbits and guinea pigs increasingly kept well apart and with a growing trend towards keeping guinea pigs indoors or in sheds, the risk of rabbit ear mites and e.cuniculi has also reduced.

If needed, have your ear checked for potential fungal skin infection - there are milder forms to ringworm.

Back