how often / much forage foods?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
hi all! apologies if this has been asked before but i wanted to check, how often should forage items be fed? should it be more like once a week as a treat or can piggies have them more often? talking about things like herbal leaf/flower mixes, rose petals, dandelion root etc. i also have a collection of things like a forage tray and bowl filled with yummy bits and wondered if this was better given at floor time and not available 24/7? thanks!🍃❤️

Mine have a small sprinkle of something on non-pellet days (they get pellets about three times a week). Definitely not something to be available constantly.
It does depend on the type due to calcium levels etc (removing the water obviously does not remove everything else). Mine are particularly fond of plantain, nettle, raspberry leaves, strawberry leaves, dandelion, apple leaves but they don’t get them all all of the time (apple and dandelion for example being high in calcium).

Hello. I wouldn’t have forage available 24/7. I’d maybe sprinkle a bit in their hay once a day. Anything bigger I’d save for floor time.

Back