How often do you buy pellets?

fiddlestitch

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I plan on buying more pellets for my two piggies before the month is out. I am currently debating if I should buy the 5lb or 10lb bag. I estimate a 5lb bag will last me about 6 weeks and a 10lb bag would last 3 months. Buying a bigger bag certainly would save me a few dollars, but I'm not sure if 3 months is too long to keep a bag of open pellets. How often do you all buy pellets for your piggies?

Personally, I'd get the smaller bag. While it's more cost effective to go bigger, the vitamin C can oxidize and any oils in the pellets can go off especially in hot weather. They also don't need a lot of pellets anyway, 1tbsp per pig per day and as you only have 2 pigs then it'll take them a while to get through it.

I have 8 pigs and a 1.5kg (~3lb) bag of pellets last roughly a month. I prefer to keep them fresh and I shop about to get the cheapest price.

:agr: I feel It’s best to buy smaller.

My piggies don’t get pellets everyday and even when they do they i tend to give slightly less than a tablespoon each. A 2kg bag, so that seems to be 5lb, lasts me about four months.

I have 4 piggies and also buy 2kg bags. It would be more cost effective for me to buy 10kg bags but I don't have anywhere to store it and once opened, it starts to lose it's vitamin c. A 2kg bag lasts me around 3-4 weeks feeding each pig a tablespoon of pellets each once a day

Back