How Much Will These 2 Things Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Regarding to my post about me seperating my two baby boars. I'm thinking of getting them both neutered so they can possibly have a girlfriend each.

I live in United Kingdom, West Midlands.

Does anyone know how much it'll cost to get 2 7 month year old boars neutered?

ALSO

Me my mum and my stepdad have thought and decided we're going to make them a c&c cage which will now have to be divided in half which is okay because guineas will be guineas won't they ay?

But how much is it all going to come to? I'm not good with sizing etc. I don't want it too big because my room isn't the biggest room ever but I don't want it too cramped for them. I'm looking for someone to help me out and tell me a rough pricing for it all.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

You should only think about neutering if you're planning to get female companions for them. Unlike rabbits, neutering doesn't stop male aggression in guinea pigs, so it wouldn't help in trying to get them back together. Neutering op prices can vary a lot depending on your vet. It's important to get a vet who is doing piggy neutering ops on a regular basis so first please check the vet locator at top of page to see if you have a guinea pig savvy vet in your area. If there isn't one then check the rescue locator to see where your local rescue gets their piggies neutered. If you still can't find a vet then see if you have any other rescues in your area by googling "rescue" "guinea pig" & "your town?", again ask if they can recommend a vet who regularly does neutering ops. If all this fails then let us know your general area so that maybe another member can point you in the right direction.

A neuter can range from £40-140 depending on your vet, well worth paying for a better vet IMHO check out our vet locator tab for a good vet :-)

C&C about £30-40 for a box of grids and £10 for correx should you choose to use it :-) a full box is looooads of grids but gives you the flexibility to make varying sizes of cages to suit your space, you may need another box if you plan on stacking cages for 2 pairs though

Vets vary from £30 to £70 but best to check out if the cost involves meds and aftercare etc... If you look on the vet finder you will find a list of piggy savvy vets in your area which is important if considering neutering as it's a big op so you want someone savvy.

Personally I would look at taking them to a rescue and bonding them to another male, if done correctly you can achieve a strong bond. Regards the c&c what space do you have? Estimate in region of £50 for Correx and grids :)

I personally think that before you decide on going down the neutering route, you should have a look at our rescue locater and see if there is a good rescue local to you who would offer boar dating. @Wiebke is our experienced member and moderator who is brilliant at offering advise on local rescues, guinea pig care and bonding etc but please give her time to reply.

I have a neutered boar myself but he was neutered before he came to me and I rescued him from a good recommended rescue in Leicester. He has a lot of scars around his eyes and a problem with his conjunctiva which I believe happened from fighting with another boar(s) before he came to me but he is now living the life of reily with my two girls.

When it comes to the cost of neutering, my own vet charges £65 but that includes aftercare.

Operations at my vets are quite expensive but once you have paid the initial surgery cost, that includes all aftercare expenses including all visits regarding that condition.

Last edited:
Hi! Neutering cost can vary quite a bit from one vet clinic to the other. Finding a competent vet with experience and a good track record is however much more important than the mere cost, as that is what minimises the still rather common risk of post op complications - and they can become easily as expensive or even more than the original operation, not to speak of the worries!

Depending on where you are located, you could try to enquire who the RPSCA Walsall use for having their boars neutered; they have a strict boar neutering policy and their vets operating team will have plenty of practice!
If you are towards the east of the region, I would warmly recommend going for Simon Maddock in Northampton. He's neutered and spayed all piggies for a Rugby rescue for well over a decade and is one of the best operating vets in the country with as close to a 100% track record as you can get. His boys usually just bounce back as if nothing untowards has happened. http://www.catandrabbit.co.uk/html/contact_us.html

That, to me is worth a lot after I ended up with rare post op complications with a boar of mine who I had neutered through a local short term rescue and their vet when I urgently needed a successor for my terminally ill patriarch - in the end, it cost me three times the operation cost, but Hywel thankfully survived the critical weekend thanks to some late night forum support and round to clock nursing (and no thanks to the operating clinic who wouldn't even give him an antibiotic!)

Both vet clinics should be able to give you a rough idea what neutering would cost for a private person. Take your time to do your research.

I have been sneakily reading your posts today but have not been able to respond as at work - not that I had anything to add about vets and cages, but I just wanted to say well done on doing your research and doing the best for your piggies. You obviously love your boys to bits and I hope everything works out for you whether you get them neutered and find them girlfriends or take them boar-dating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back