How much vet bed to wash at once?

Spaniel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How much do you wash at once?

Waiting to be washed we have a 51x75cm piece, two 35x50cm pieces and three 30x40cm pieces.

My partner glared at me when I suggested putting it all in at once so I wondered what others do!

Partner says the big piece and two small maximum otherwise it won’t wash and rinse properly.

Machine is 7kg.

When I used large pieces of vet bed (75x100) I found I could only wash one piece at a time. It's heavy when wet so doesn't wash and rinse well if too much washed at once. I would say your large piece and one small piece together is about the right amount. It also depends on your machine type and if you use a wash bag. I would recommend to use a bag to keep the hair out of the macine, it's really hard to get all the hay and hair out of vet bed. I now only use small pieces of vet bed in the places they lie the most. I use fleece liners in the rest of the cage as they are lighter, easier to brush off and I can get more in the machine at once.

When I used large pieces of vet bed (75x100) I found I could only wash one piece at a time. It's heavy when wet so doesn't wash and rinse well if too much washed at once. I would say your large piece and one small piece together is about the right amount. It also depends on your machine type and if you use a wash bag. I would recommend to use a bag to keep the hair out of the macine, it's really hard to get all the hay and hair out of vet bed. I now only use small pieces of vet bed in the places they lie the most. I use fleece liners in the rest of the cage as they are lighter, easier to brush off and I can get more in the machine at once.
You were right. The big piece and one small was the right amount :)

Everything always feels so rough after air drying though. Haven’t managed to find a solution for that :(

I think it will do if you are used to tumble drying and/or using conditioner. I never do either these days for any of our washing so we are used to it. Things do soften up quickly when they are used.

I think it will do if you are used to tumble drying and/or using conditioner. I never do either these days for any of our washing so we are used to it. Things do soften up quickly when they are used.
We don’t have space for a tumble drier unfortunately.

We use white vinegar in place of fabric softener which helps a little but not much really.

Soft water area too so not sure why. I think modern machines don’t use enough water really.

Back