How much veggies?

Mil0

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I just adopted a little piggy and I wanna know, how much veggies should he be eating both morning and night? I’ve been giving him 1/2C of veggies in the morning and 1/2 at night but idk if I’m over feeding, under feeding, or if that’s a good amount for him

Hay is the most important part of the diet. It needs to make up 80% of the daily food intake and they must have constant and free access to it.
Veggies are more of a snack. They can have one cup/50g per pig per day. Try to include a variety of veg and a high vitamin c veg per day, keeping high calcium veggies limited to once per week. How you feed it is up to you - you can split it and give them half a portion in the morning and half a portion at night.
Pellets should the kept limited - one tablespoon per piggy per day. They are the least healthy and least important part of the diet. Overfeeding pellets contributes to unhealthy weight gain and bladder problems.

Dont forget to weigh your piggies every week as part of routine care. As hay is the most important part and you cannot judge they are eating enough by eye, weight checks are very important. Its the only way to know they really are eating enough hay. It also enables you to spot any health problems earlier so you an step in with syringe feeding assistance if needed.

The guides below offer further advice

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading
Weight - Monitoring and Management

New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

Back