How Much? Too Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiggsy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've had my piggies for 4 days, I'm not sure on how old they are but they are still very small. It's a lovely day out and I was just wondering how long should I wait before letting them out into their run, how long for? And how dry should the grass be?
I've been giving them a small handful of grass daily to get their tummies use to it, which leads me to my second thought, I'm wondering how often should I be feeding them their veg, I keep feeling as if I'm feeding them too much!

Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time A good thread for this. Most important things is to let the pigs adjust and then when they are OK to be on the lawn, first time is for about 5-15 minutes. Also making sure there is no dog or fox pee as both are poisonous to piggies, as well as things like fertiliser. Grass also counts to their veg from what I remember so would be worth reducing it if they've been out on grass for a while on that day

Kind of changing the subject but I think I'm right in saying that you can give grass instead of hay cause it's basically dried grass but I'm not positive

let's say my piggies (and I) are a bit WEIRD...:woot: (and proud to be like that)
Anyway, this is my own experience with my latest two piggies: I adopted them when they were 3 months old and since the day of their rescue (when they were 2 months old and not in a great shape) they were educated to the correct diet, following the prescription of the vet: hay, 1 tea-spoon (or less) of grainfree pellets, 100g of vegs (always a piece of pepper) and a lot of fresh mixed grass. One of them was underweight, but she started eating a lot and her weight has doubled now. Their tummies never had problems. They DON'T drink a single drop of water... I was astonished and shocked about that, therefore I had a talk with that first vet and with the lady who looked after them at the shelter. The vet told me it does not matter at all (their wee is copious) and I can offer vegs and grass a bit wet. Actually the piggies don't like eating wet grass, I see...
Now they are checked by another piggie savvy vet, one of the best in Italy... and he also told me to feed them with no more than 1 tea spoon of dry food and a lot of wild grass (I live in a district with a lot of green areas), at least until we have some... because just now most of grass has spikes and in summer the areas will look like desert. I pay close attention of the ratio Calcium : Phosphorus, you can find a calculator in Guinea Lynx website, but the common grass (the one with strings) is maybe the only veg having the best balance and a great quantity of vitamins and minerals.
I have read somewhere that grass has also a component which helps teeth to be "eroded". I cannot believe that a strict herbivore as guinea pig is can have some trouble eating natural grass...
This is the great amount of fresh grass my piggies ate today for lunch:
100_6730.webp
only a thing: they are becoming two great gourmets: they prefer a certain grass and a certain wild chicory... I have learnt where the right grass grows up... but sometimes they simply don't eat because the grass is not the one they prefer... and they refuse to eat also lettuce then! when it is grass time it means that grass must be served. No matter that outside it is raining...:evil:
If your piggies will get used to the grass, you will realise the grass is a rich food, something like a steak for us; they won't be too much hungry then.

Thank you all! :) Yes so far grass has been the pick of all the veg I've been giving them. They've started to come towards me now because of wanting grass. If I offer anything else they'll turn away and hide back in the corner. I've always felt as if grass is a lot more natural for them as in the wild they'd never have all these fruit's and veg at hand. Plus I have a veggie patch that has some yummy patches of grass that needs to go, and they seem to love :P

I have discovered that my new rescue prefers grass from hay (even though I offer both)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back