How much probiotic powder should I feed?

kennytang

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First post here. I tried Google but cannot find the answer.

I just bought the "Vetark Pro-C Probiotic Powder" for my piggies.
The package says I should mix 1 scoop (30ml ?) in 200ml of water or 300ml of water if spraying on food, but doesn't mention how much should I give them.
My 2 piggies are drinking around 50ml of water a day normally (combined). 230ml of solution for each of them is around 9 times of their daily water consumption.
I don't think the instruction is asking for that much, am I right?

If I want to syringe feed them, how much should I give them?

Many Thanks

Please don’t put it in their drinking water bottle at all.

Is your piggy being syringe fed a recovery feed such as critical care? If so then it’s easier to mix a pinch of the probiotic into syringe feed rather than syringed water.

Has a vet recommended you give them probiotic powder?
Edit: Piggies&buns got there first :)

What is the reason you are wanting to give a probiotic? Please do not put it in the drinking water as it will make the water taste funny therefore putting your piggies off drinking it, it also goes off very quickly when mixed in with water

When I have given pro C in the past which is another powdered probiotic, I’ve either mixed in a pinch with their syringe feed if I’ve been syringe feeding or mixed a tiny bit in with water and syringed it them or have sprinkled a pinch on their pellets but probiotics only need to be given to piggies who are on antibiotics or are poorly and being syringe fed x

Thanks for the replies.

My piggies are mostly good. Eating a lot of hay and veggies. I weigh them everyday and their body weights are normal (2-3% up or down everyday).

However, I gave them some broccolis to them last week before realising broccolis can cause bloat and should be avoided.
On the next day, I find that there are a few poops with a narrow end. (The number of poops and the shape of the vast majority of poops normal)
Their bellies are a bit bigger and seem to be filled with air. They are more sensitive when I tried to touch their bellies. (They don't like it anyway)
It sounds like bloat to me according to my research.

As their weights are normal and still eating, drinking, playing and pooping well, I'm trying to see if there is anything I can help before taking them to the vet.

Thanks for the replies.

My piggies are mostly good. Eating a lot of hay and veggies. I weigh them everyday and their body weights are normal (2-3% up or down everyday).

However, I gave them some broccolis to them last week before realising broccolis can cause bloat and should be avoided.
On the next day, I find that there are a few poops with a narrow end. (The number of poops and the shape of the vast majority of poops normal)
Their bellies are a bit bigger and seem to be filled with air. They are more sensitive when I tried to touch their bellies. (They don't like it anyway)

As their weights are normal and still eating, drinking, playing and pooping well, I'm trying to see if there is anything I can help before taking them to vet.

Broccoli doesn’t need to be avoided but it does need to be introduced slowly and in small amounts.

Giving a probiotic will not resolve bloat. If you suspect they have bloat, then you need to see a vet.

Back