How Much Of What Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As I am new to keeping Guinea Pigs I just wondered what everyone goes through by way of bedding etc?

At the moment I am using a mixture of wood shavings and carefresh with newspaper as a bottom layer and also some Hay. I have 2 Guinea Pigs.

What size of bags do you buy and how long do they last you? I have 2 Guinea Pigs and I am trying to decide if I can afford financially just to buy carefresh as I prefer it to the wood shavings and I have heard it's better for the pigs.

Also what size bag of hay do you buy and how long does it last?

Thanks!

Even though lots of people have used wood shavings for many years, it isn't generally recommended. You culd replace it with either Auboise (hemp based) or Raviera (oil seed rape based). These cost around £11 to £12 for the Auboise or |£7 to £8 for Raviera both 20 Kg bales which can be obtained from many farm stores. I haven't used carefresh so can't comment on that but I use a layer of hay on top of mine. I buy this in a big bale from a local equine & pet supplier for £3.50. Mine love eating it too, far better than the plastic bags of hay sold in supermarkets & pet stores.

I use wood shavings. I know some people don't agree with this as bedding but I have always used it and have never had any respiratory problems in my piggies (Ive kept guinea pigs for 15 years). I buy a large bag of shavings from my local pet shop. I'm not sure on the size but it must be around 20Kg. It lasts me around a month and a half and that is for three cages which are cleaned out weekly (Spot cleaned daily).

I also buy a large bale of hay from the farmer next to my house. Again, I aren't sure on the size but its pretty big and lasts me two months and that's for four guineas and a rabbit having constant access to hay. Only costs me £2 a bale too so I really cant go wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back