How much is too much?

Newbiepiggymum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
For two 3 month old boys how much is a good amount to feed them? They have a hay rack with has a few small handfuls in it and are given lettuce or cabbage in the am and pm. They also have a small amount of pellets available...I feel like this is a lot but they clear it all

Hi
Hay should make up 80% of their diet and should be unlimited - they should never run out.
Pellets should be limited to a tablespoon per pig per day.
Avoid feeding cabbage every day as it is high in calcium - limit to once a week and in small amounts. Veggies that can be fed daily include lettuce (not iceberg), cucumber, capsicum, celery and coriander. They should be be getting about a cup of veggies per pig.
Hope this helps 😊

The largest part of their diet needs to be hay - it should be available in large amounts at all times.
I personally don’t use hay racks as my boys enjoy being in amongst large loose piles of hay, they play in it etc and eat so much more without the restriction of a hay rack.
I also don’t use bowls - being boars, it’s important to never give them a reason to bicker so I scatter feed all veg so the dominant cannot food hog. It also provides enrichment as they have to search for it in amongst their hay piles.

Veg and pellets are supplementary and jointly only make around 20% of the daily food intake. They should not be filling up veg and definitely never on pellets.

Veg is about one cup of veg per pig per day, ensuring a variety including high vitamin c veggies such as coriander or bell pepper. High calcium veggies such as spinach, kale and parsley kept to a small amount and only once a week. High sugar items such as fruit or carrot kept as a very occasional treat. Cabbage can cause bloating so best to only feed small amounts occasionally.
Daily veggies for my boys are lettuce, coriander and another herb, cucumber, bell pepper and usually a green bean. Other items as added in at times for variety. I do tend to feed a little more than a cup of veg per day though (along with fresh grass) but my boys don’t get pellets often and get dried forage instead.
The important thing to note is that any new veg needs to be introduced slowly so as to not cause an upset tummy.

Pellets are strictly one tablespoon per pig per day. Pellets are the least healthy part of the diet and contribute a lot of calcium to the diet. Too much calcium isn’t good for them - although too little also isn’t good. If you ensure pellefs are kept limited and their drinking water is filtered, then that can help to get a balance of ensuring they get some but not lots of calcium

The guide below will help further

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

The way to know they are getting enough hay is via the weekly weight checks (switching to daily weight checks whenever there are health concerns). Any drops in weight (beyond normal fluctuation) and it can mean their hay intake has reduced (and then you need to step in with support feeding and vet care). You cannot tell they are eating enough hay by watching them eat it

Weight - Monitoring and Management

Last edited:
Ok this is all great, I'll cut back on leafy stuff a bit and bulk up the hay stack!

Dont necessarily cut back on leafy stuff — they still need a cup of mainly leafy veg, herbs or fresh grass and a high vitamin c vegetable every day - but hay does need to be the bulk of their daily intake

My boys eat so much more hay since I got rid of the hay racks. I put in a large handful of timothy hay in the morning, again at lunch time and another at tea time. Plus they have a huge pile of cheaper meadow hay to sleep/hide in. And two boxes full of meadow hay and a snuggle safe as they live in my garage. Two tablespoons of nuggets in the morning and veggies at breakfast and bed time. They always look hungry though.
Safe veggies are lettuce, cucumber, peppers, coriander and green beans. I filter their water too as I live in a very hard water area and that can cause bladder stones.

My boys eat so much more hay since I got rid of the hay racks. I put in a large handful of timothy hay in the morning, again at lunch time and another at tea time. Plus they have a huge pile of cheaper meadow hay to sleep/hide in. And two boxes full of meadow hay and a snuggle safe as they live in my garage. Two tablespoons of nuggets in the morning and veggies at breakfast and bed time. They always look hungry though.
Safe veggies are lettuce, cucumber, peppers, coriander and green beans. I filter their water too as I live in a very hard water area and that can cause bladder stones.
Yikes...the only thing I can think to say is 'greedy pigs' harhar, I'm a comic genius!

Back