How much hay should you feed?

LunaGirl1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have seen people doing different amounts for their piggies so is it just an estimate or a certain amount? I'm getting 2 boars around 6 weeks old in December so I need to know for in the future <3
I know about babies having alfalpha hay aswell x

At the age your piggies will be, they dont need alfalfa at all. It isnt a grass hay. It is only really needed for pregnant sows and babies when the are very tiny and before weaning age. After they are weaned at 3 weeks of age, they no longer need alfalfa. They can be fed a normal adult diet of unlimited grass hay, 50g of veg and one tablespoon of pellets.

You must ensure they have a constant supply of grass hay available. 80% of what they eat in a day needs to be hay and they are grazers so it needs to be available in large amounts constantly. Whether you do it by throwing in a handful or two regularly throughout the day or putting in large piles a couple of times (if you arent home during the day to top it up) is up to you but they must never run out.

The only way you will know they are getting enough hay is by weighing your piggies every week. If they gain weight well, then they are getting enough. You cannot judge they are eating enough simply by seeing them eat hay though.
Any significant weight drops (beyond fluctuation) means their hay intake has reduced and that requires you to step in with medical attention.

They most likely will never eat an entire pile though - they will pick through at the bits they like and leave the rest, so even if there is still hay left, its important you top it up with fresh a few times a day.

The amount you get through each week/month is going to vary on your set up - some are bedded on hay so you will use more, indoors/outdoors etc. People who have indoor piggies and only use hay for eating will use a few kilos every couple of weeks. Mine live in a shed and I also have five animals (two piggies and three rabbits) so my hay usage is huge - 20kg every 3-4 weeks.

Weight - Monitoring and Management
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Last edited:
As stated above, there is never enough hay for them. Feed them as much as they want.

In addition, many new owners are shocked by how much hay is “wasted” (as piggies&buns said, they’ll never eat it all). Hay is more than food for piggies. It’s warmth; it’s enrichment; it’s a toy; it’s shelter. When you look at it this way, it really helps.

Make sure they always have piles of hay - at least big enough to fully bury themselves in, as this is how many piggies like to eat.
And congratulations on your new boys - don't forget to come back and share pictures with us.

This is our hay pile, the boys absolutely love hiding, and playing in it! 4ABE5273-0C78-4F8C-9375-1E96456B1049.webp
We top it up multiple times a day and I change it out about every 3 days

Make sure they always have piles of hay - at least big enough to fully bury themselves in, as this is how many piggies like to eat.
And congratulations on your new boys - don't forget to come back and share pictures with us.
As a skinny pig owner, I love seeing piggies buried in hay because mine rarely do it. The only one who will is our werewolf piggie, likely as it’s less pokey on him. 😂

As a skinny pig owner, I love seeing piggies buried in hay because mine rarely do it. The only one who will is our werewolf piggie, likely as it’s less pokey on him. 😂
Yes Tallulah skinny pig doesnt like the feel of hay either, she jumps in and out like "its tasty" "no it tickles" "no its tasty" but once her furry husboar flattens the tickly bits she'll eat a kilo of it!

Yes Tallulah skinny pig doesnt like the feel of hay either, she jumps in and out like "its tasty" "no it tickles" "no its tasty" but once her furry husboar flattens the tickly bits she'll eat a kilo of it!
Two of our naked boars like to have huts on top of their hay. I'm assuming it replicates the feeling of burying in the hay a bit. But I do love the rare occasions that my werewolf pig decides to dive right in. Hahaha I'm glad her hairy hubby pig fixes it for her! :)

received_2119782371519552.webp Mine eat lots of hay. I use a cheap meadow hay for the bedding which they will eat at times and use Haybox Timothy Hay as feeding hay which I normally put on top of various places and try to keep the meadow at the bottom as much as I can. There have been times when the piggies have eaten every last strand of Timothy despite putting lots in at a time especially this time of year. It is deceiving as they have lots of meadow so my boyfriend sometimes leaves it thinking they've got plenty of meadow on the floor (to get out of going to the garage!) But in reality they've got no feeding hay and they are hungry! So be careful with replacing it as much as possible and finding a hay that they will eat and not just tolerate. Good luck :)

Back