how many sows can i have together

• Thread starter Thread starter kellyspiggies
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kellyspiggies

i got 4 sows together, is there a limit to how many sows can be together, providing the hutch/cage is big enough, as my hutch is having a extention so would like to get more sows, preferbly some babies all advice needed on putting babies in with my sows too

In my experience you can have quiet a few young ones in together, the older ones don't like to be bothered much and don't like 'newbies'..

But that's my experience.

Kelly and piggies xx

I have six together and have had no problems. I started with 2 then added another 2 and I just re-entered Willow(She was with the other for most of the pregnancy) with her baby girl.

kellyandpiggies said:
In my experience you can have quite a few young ones in together, the older ones don't like to be bothered much and don't like 'newbies'..

But that's my experience.

Kelly and piggies xx

sorry about the above, I thought I pressed modify!

Meant quite not quiet! Sorry!

Kelly and piggies xx

www.cavycages.com will have good information about cage sizes for different amount of piggies.

Usually many sows can live together if they get along :D

Livie x

Wish boars were like that, I would love to get more to go with my 2 :)

would you believe I have 19 girls together BUT I do have half a hugh shed made out with a c and c run they are so friendly with each other and if one is ill she always gets a buddy to snuggle up to her, one of my girls was dying there was nothing i could do, and Cuddles a rescued sow I got given snuggled up with her in the cuddle cup right up unitl she died It made me cry to see how much comfort she must have given her,
I always find one is the stronger of the pack now it is cuddles but up until she died last year of old age it was squeak, I ahve never ever had any problems other then barbaring and certainly wish boars were as easy to look after in the same way as girls but i suppose they are men after all lol

DEFINTELY AGREE on the men bit lol, i have such a big garden i want to corner one bit of for them so they have a huge outside run and a big indoor hutch too. I'm buying my son a new bed so i might use the frame of his old bed and come up with something dont know what yet my partner can get loads of wood from work to so i can build something its just the mesh its so expensive

kellyspiggies said:
its just the mesh its so expensive

I got my mesh from a local hardware shop, it cost £1.50 a metre for the 12 inch size so for my cage it cost £6, because like you my husband brought the wood from work :)

You can have as many sows living together as you wish providing cage size obviously. I have a cage of 7 sows, a cage of 5 sows etc etc...they seem to mix fine!
x

bevs said:
kellyspiggies said:
its just the mesh its so expensive

I got my mesh from a local hardware shop, it cost £1.50 a metre for the 12 inch size so for my cage it cost £6, because like you my husband brought the wood from work :)
thankyou i will find a local hardware shop when i go shopping on saturday

You can have as many sows together as THEY wish and space allows! I have a castrated boar in with all my groups, he helps to keep the peace I've found, though not all boars are up to this 'job' and don't like to interfere. I think its about choosing your personalitys carefully. Youngsters will change probably with maturity, I would go for adults, but thats just me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back