How many grids did you use for your c&c cage

• Thread starter Thread starter soulsdiva
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

soulsdiva

I was just wondering how many grids you all used to make your cages , at the mi althouth my piggies live indoors they're in shop bought cages nero type & large hutch , I'm inthe process of clearing my box room so that I can house all my pigies together in that room obviously I need to keep boars & sows seperate & also be able to seperate those that don't get on , I have 4 at the min but that will change , but if we start on basis of 6 piggies that'll give me some idea. Also how stable are the extra stories when you build a c&c .

Sorry I know this isn't very clear on space needed & amount of piggies ,but just a rough idea of what different people have used.

Have a look on here http://www.guineapigcages.com/ There are lots of different variations/sizes of C & C :)

The number of grids obviously depends on the number of piggies & how many levels you want it to have.
The upper levels can be made secure with tie wraps or/& supporting grids underneath :)

i have 2 piggies in a 2 x 4 C & C with a 2 x 2 upper loft (they arent actually moved in yet, stilll gotta build the ramp) this requires about 25 grids although a 2 x 4 without an upper floor is sufficient for 2 piggies.

basically they recommend 2 x 2 grid for one piggie so times that by the number of piggies you have

I've built a 5x2 with a 2x2 loft. That required 27 grids in total. I am now going to put another set of grids beneath the cage to raise it off the ground so the piggies feel more secure. At the moment I have 2 sows but I might add a neutered boar soon, so that's plenty of space.
It takes up about 6ft by 2.5ft on my floor, but it's in a bay window so not intrusive on my living space.

I don't wish to be argumentative but having a 2x2 loft, I feel strongly that it is not sufficent living space for one pig. guineapigcages.com is not the guinea pig bible, but I do agree that their recommendation that 2x3 should be the minimum for one cavy.

I built a 2x4 with a loft including a 1x3 and two 1x1s. I used 30 grids total. Oh yeah, I keep 3 guinea pigs in there. I'm hoping to extend the bottom level to a 2x5 sometime soon.

Thanks for all the replies its been quite useful. I've finally manged to source some grids at long last , so I've got 3pks comming from B&Q , hoping next week but may be longer. Its a 6 cube pack , so I should have a few to play with. Just 1 quick question , if the cage is going onto the floor , do you need to use grids to make the base, or just use correx or lino straight into the frame? does that make sense. ;D :D

souldiva said:
Thanks for all the replies its been quite useful. I've finally manged to source some grids at long last , so I've got 3pks comming from B&Q , hoping next week but may be longer. Its a 6 cube pack , so I should have a few to play with. Just 1 quick question , if the cage is going onto the floor , do you need to use grids to make the base, or just use correx or lino straight into the frame? does that make sense. ;D :D

My c&c is built in a cupboard with correx straight on the floor & no grids on the base :)

Thanks Niki , just got to source some flooring while I'm waiting for the grids to arrive. ;D

I have 4 boars, 2 living apart on the "ground floor" and 2 on the top floor. The ground floor consists of 2 cages, each 3 x 14" grids by 3 x 14" grids with one boar in each (but next to eachother) and on top of that I built a cage that is 6 x 14" grids by 3 x 14" grids (trust me it is huge!). Normally grids are either 12" or 14" so hope you get the idea!
I do not have grids on the bottom, just heavy guage vinyl :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back