How long to wait?

Fmdonlan1988

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All

How long should I wait until I bond my two boars? Just want to make sure that we give enough time for the new guinea to settle in his new home first and get settled before bonding.

Thanks

How old are they?
How long have you had the new piggy?

If any pig is under four months of old please bond immediately as piggies under that age need constant companionship

If your new piggy is from a rescue so you know is healthy and has been quarantined before you brought him home, then a few days of settling in, and then neutral territory bonding can be done.

If your new piggy is not from a rescue, then he should ideally be quarantined in a separate room for two weeks before attempting to bond. (provided neither piggy is struggling to cope being alone - if that happens you just have to forego quarantine and bond anyway)

It can help for you to put their two cages next to each other for a few days prior to attempting the bonding

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Thankyou so much for replying. I've had there cages next to each other today and they are beginning to notice each other. Squeak our original guinea is starting to lay next to the end of the cage where the cookie, the new guinea is. Want to try and get it right for the guineas so trying to gather as much info as possible

Do read the guide I linked in as that explains how to carry out the bonding. We are here to support you through the process

Thankyou. I think I'm going to do it next Friday when the kids are at school as I don't want them to disturb it at all and get worked up etc. The guineas are starting to notice each other through the bars and make slight noises. Will keep updating x

Back