How long to wait after separation to begin boar dating?

denverguineas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two lovely boars recently had a falling out, and after a couple days of trial separation I have decided to separate them permanently. The underboar has perked up noticeably and the more dominant boar has been doing zoomies all day enjoying his uninterrupted cage space.
The underboar seems kind of lonely, the one thing he loves to do most is cuddle. On the days when the boys would get along, I would find them cuddling. I put a stuffed animal in his cage and he hasn't left it's side except to eat and drink.
Some advice I've gotten from experienced guinea pig owners in my area says that I should wait 4-6 weeks or even longer before attempting introductions or even bringing a new piggy into the same area as the boys so they can calm down. I will be following that advice with my more dominant boar, as I walked past his cage with my underboar and it sent him into a fit of chattering and cage biting, so I do think he needs to calm down a bit.
My underboar is quite the opposite, now he wants snuggles more than ever.
Do you think the best thing would be to adopt a new piggy now and have them live side by side for a while and then introduce? Or wait 4-6 weeks before anything happens? Or don't wait at all?

Thank you!

Trios of boars very rarely work out. Perhaps you could have both boars taken to a recommended rescue to choose their choice of new partner? Alternatively could you consider neutering your boars and pairing each with a sow? I’m really not sure if your current boars will be compatible now, but they do need a companion each x

The forum has Guinea Pig Guides at the top of the screen, there is one on bonding
Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

My two lovely boars recently had a falling out, and after a couple days of trial separation I have decided to separate them permanently. The underboar has perked up noticeably and the more dominant boar has been doing zoomies all day enjoying his uninterrupted cage space.
The underboar seems kind of lonely, the one thing he loves to do most is cuddle. On the days when the boys would get along, I would find them cuddling. I put a stuffed animal in his cage and he hasn't left it's side except to eat and drink.
Some advice I've gotten from experienced guinea pig owners in my area says that I should wait 4-6 weeks or even longer before attempting introductions or even bringing a new piggy into the same area as the boys so they can calm down. I will be following that advice with my more dominant boar, as I walked past his cage with my underboar and it sent him into a fit of chattering and cage biting, so I do think he needs to calm down a bit.
My underboar is quite the opposite, now he wants snuggles more than ever.
Do you think the best thing would be to adopt a new piggy now and have them live side by side for a while and then introduce? Or wait 4-6 weeks before anything happens? Or don't wait at all?

Thank you!

Hi!

I am very sorry for your fall out. How old are your boys now? The teenage months are not all even, the hormone spikes tend to happen at certain times, which means that fall-outs also tend to typically happen during those spikes. Dominant fallen-out boars can be very difficult to bond/date during one of those spikes. Non-dominant boars can be bonded at any time.

Key to any successful boar bond is character compatibility and mutual liking. The best place to ensure that is a good standard rescue with a mandatory quarantine and vet care that offers this service and where you can assured that you only adopt a boar without any nasty surprises. You will have the backing of the rescue for the life time of the adopted boar, so you have a place to help you if your bond is running into trouble or you can't keep your adoptee for some reason. You won't be left with any more fallen-out boars, so it is well worth the extra effort. All rescues comply with or surpass minimal welfare standards and will only rehome to homes that comply with them, too.

You may find this guide here helpful as gives you more information on the teenage months and it lists also lists all your possible options, including links to rescues in several countries we a vouch that you are in safe hands. The majority of them offer boar dating; a few US, Canadian and New Zealand rescues have spayed sows for cross gender bondings available.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

We can help you with better recommendations if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your account details (via clicking on your username on the top bar) so it appears with every post you make and allows us to tailor any advice straight away to what is relvant and available where you are. We have members and enquiries from all over the world and from very different conditions. Thank you!

Hi!

I am very sorry for your fall out. How old are your boys now? The teenage months are not all even, the hormone spikes tend to happen at certain times, which means that fall-outs also tend to typically happen during those spikes. Dominant fallen-out boars can be very difficult to bond/date during one of those spikes. Non-dominant boars can be bonded at any time.

Key to any successful boar bond is character compatibility and mutual liking. The best place to ensure that is a good standard rescue with a mandatory quarantine and vet care that offers this service and where you can assured that you only adopt a boar without any nasty surprises. You will have the backing of the rescue for the life time of the adopted boar, so you have a place to help you if your bond is running into trouble or you can't keep your adoptee for some reason. You won't be left with any more fallen-out boars, so it is well worth the extra effort. All rescues comply with or surpass minimal welfare standards and will only rehome to homes that comply with them, too.

You may find this guide here helpful as gives you more information on the teenage months and it lists also lists all your possible options, including links to rescues in several countries we a vouch that you are in safe hands. The majority of them offer boar dating; a few US, Canadian and New Zealand rescues have spayed sows for cross gender bondings available.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

We can help you with better recommendations if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your account details (via clicking on your username on the top bar) so it appears with every post you make and allows us to tailor any advice straight away to what is relvant and available where you are. We have members and enquiries from all over the world and from very different conditions. Thank you!
My boars are 2 years and a few months. I have a good rescue in my area picked out, I just wasn't sure if my underboar was ready to be introduced to another pig or if he might still be too nervous because of the nasty fight that caused their separation.

Can’t add to the advice given but wanted to say that I hope all will be worked out well for your boys

My boars are 2 years and a few months. I have a good rescue in my area picked out, I just wasn't sure if my underboar was ready to be introduced to another pig or if he might still be too nervous because of the nasty fight that caused their separation.

You can only know when you date as he can't tell you. If in doubt, speak to the rescue. They are very experienced there.

Back