How long should I wait after stone surgery before going boat dating?

Cryptillian

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all, decided I’d make a separate post for this question. My senior boar who is estimated to have just turned 7 (unfortunately he’s a rescue and we don’t know his true age, but I’ve had him for 3 years) is my last pig. I unfortunately lost one to pneumonia (8 years) and another to colon cancer (6 years) and so he is now all by his lonesome and I can tell it has hit him hard losing his two best friends. Currently he is suffering from a large bladder stone and is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, due to his age I am not sure how things will go. Assuming he survives recovery may be longer, but my vet is very confident because of his otherwise great health and I’ve been keeping up his critical care as much as I can.

I’ve not gotten a new pig in 3 years (in fact Pumba was the last pig I adopted!) and honestly I am rusty on the length of time I should be waiting in the first place after a loss, his last friend has to be pts about 2 weeks ago now so it’s still very fresh. With this surgery I do not want to bring in the stress of another new random guinea pig during recovery, especially because I was considering getting a baby as I’ve had seniors for so many years I think I’d like a chance at having another pig a bit longer after all the death this year and Pumba is very laid back, in fact I got him specifically for my aggressive 6 year old (at the time 3) cause he was the only one at the shelter who he seemed to like!

So mainly I was wondering how long is too soon or too long to go to the shelter and do some boat dating?

Unfortunately due to the 3k+ $ in vet bills trying to save all my boys these past couple months I will need some time to have vet savings again, but I am worried that it may take me too long and he will be a bit sad. I play noises of videos of other pigs and watch him looking around, perking up like he hasn’t done since two weeks ago. I know he loves cuddles from me, but he clearly needs a pig friend.

I don’t know that I’ll be able to have the ample savings until January at the latest (assuming possible post surgery complications don’t cost me an arm and a leg) and I wanted to know if that’s too long? I really don’t want to get another pig without vet savings, especially with Pumba’s condition and possible last months or year(s) of his life, but I also would hate for his remaining time to be alone.

Any advice is much appreciated! I am otherwise prepared for a new pig as I used to have 3 so I have all this bulk food, extra C&C space, and hay just sitting. It’s really just about the savings in case something goes wrong medically. When getting a new pig you never know if something could come up and I don’t want to put them in a spot where I can’t get them the best care right away.

Hey all, decided I’d make a separate post for this question. My senior boar who is estimated to have just turned 7 (unfortunately he’s a rescue and we don’t know his true age, but I’ve had him for 3 years) is my last pig. I unfortunately lost one to pneumonia (8 years) and another to colon cancer (6 years) and so he is now all by his lonesome and I can tell it has hit him hard losing his two best friends. Currently he is suffering from a large bladder stone and is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, due to his age I am not sure how things will go. Assuming he survives recovery may be longer, but my vet is very confident because of his otherwise great health and I’ve been keeping up his critical care as much as I can.

I’ve not gotten a new pig in 3 years (in fact Pumba was the last pig I adopted!) and honestly I am rusty on the length of time I should be waiting in the first place after a loss, his last friend has to be pts about 2 weeks ago now so it’s still very fresh. With this surgery I do not want to bring in the stress of another new random guinea pig during recovery, especially because I was considering getting a baby as I’ve had seniors for so many years I think I’d like a chance at having another pig a bit longer after all the death this year and Pumba is very laid back, in fact I got him specifically for my aggressive 6 year old (at the time 3) cause he was the only one at the shelter who he seemed to like!

So mainly I was wondering how long is too soon or too long to go to the shelter and do some boat dating?

Unfortunately due to the 3k+ $ in vet bills trying to save all my boys these past couple months I will need some time to have vet savings again, but I am worried that it may take me too long and he will be a bit sad. I play noises of videos of other pigs and watch him looking around, perking up like he hasn’t done since two weeks ago. I know he loves cuddles from me, but he clearly needs a pig friend.

I don’t know that I’ll be able to have the ample savings until January at the latest (assuming possible post surgery complications don’t cost me an arm and a leg) and I wanted to know if that’s too long? I really don’t want to get another pig without vet savings, especially with Pumba’s condition and possible last months or year(s) of his life, but I also would hate for his remaining time to be alone.

Any advice is much appreciated! I am otherwise prepared for a new pig as I used to have 3 so I have all this bulk food, extra C&C space, and hay just sitting. It’s really just about the savings in case something goes wrong medically. When getting a new pig you never know if something could come up and I don’t want to put them in a spot where I can’t get them the best care right away.

Hi

As long as your bereaved piggy is eating and drinking on their own, they will hold for ideally about 1-4 weeks but it can be longer if circumstances demand. I would however keep an eye on how well your single is coping without stimulation from a mate; this can vary enormously so there are no set rules. A lot comes down to practicalities.

I had to wait 8 weeks with the adoption in 2021 when my reserved mother and rescue-born daughter pair came down with ringworm, for instance. However, (neutered) Macsen 'The Greatest' is still happily living with his wives Manon 'Queen' and Maelona 'Princess' so it was worth it even though Maelog was not happy for a little while.

Here is some practical information. When getting a companion on spec please always have a plan B at the ready in case it doesn't work out. Usually a cage divider will do the trick as long as the resulting pens will be large enough for a 'neighboaring' set up.
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (includes a chapter on bereaved piggies and one on how to spot when a single is transferring their species needs fully onto you)
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars (Contains a chapter on companionship)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back