• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How long should baytril take to cure a uti?

Wizzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my guinea pigs rexy has been squeaking while peeing for 2/3 weeksish, on and off before I finally convinced my mum that something was wrong, and she went to the vets last Sunday at pets@home. The vet gave one 0.6ml dose daily and loxicom twice daily to her, and said if it doesn’t improve within a week, then she needs and X-ray, and told my mum it would be £250, to which my mum replied NO WAY! And then on Wednesday, my other pig pepper started having pink pee/blood spots in her pee. A lovely lady I know who runs a guinea rescue and is very experienced with guinea pigs said I should give a small dose of the antibiotics to pepper. She also recommended a different, better vet. Pepper has since improved. So we went to this vet this morning, who were great! She felt both of the Guineas abdomens, and couldn’t feel any stones. She also said that UTIs can take at least 10 days to heal. So we know have a 10 day course of baytril for both the pigs. Rexy has 0.3ml twice daily, and pepper 0.4ml. Rexy is still squeaking while peeing, but less than she was. I’m really hoping it clears up! The only other thing I’m concerned about is they’re drinking lots more water... I filled up their 600ml bottle on Thursday, it is now Saturday and it is more than half empty. The vet said that wasn’t a bad thing as it could flush out their bladders.... but any second opinions on that would be appreciated! Also, I slightly parted both of the guinea pigs bits (they’re both female) and rexys seemed to have some white bits in it... is this normal? Peppers has none.

Here’s a photo... sorry it’s not very clear

Attachments

• C434E2B6-CAC5-4367-AC2A-1CBE47C616FF.webp
    C434E2B6-CAC5-4367-AC2A-1CBE47C616FF.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 14
I think you already have the answer to this thread from your vet as they have said they would expect to see an improvement in 10 days. If this doesn't happen then it could be that one of them is more resistant to baytril and might need a different antibiotic. Just like humans there is no one size fits all with antibiotics and it can be trial and error to find the one that works.
The increased drinking could be that they are being more active now they aren't in pain so much, it could just be that the weather has improved and the temperature increased, or it could be a symptom of an underlying problem. Not all cysts or stones are going to be palpable from examination and if there is no improvement in 10 days of baytril I would suggest going back to the vet for their opinion and also mentioning the increased drinking just in case.
Hope your girlies are feeling better soon

Back