How long does Hay last

laylaonwheels

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I’m about to get two female Guinea pigs and I bought a 9lb box of hay and I was wondering how long it would last so I can put it on autoship and also how long a 25lb bag would last

Hi! I buy hay in 50 lb boxes and they can last about 6 to 8 months for my two piggies.

It depends on what you are using it for - ie is it just Timothy hay for feeding in a rack, Or is a different type of hay (what we call Meadow hay) and for a bedding as well? Or for filling a larger hay area in their cage rather than just filling a rack a few times a day etc.?

All of mine prefer to have hay thrown in loose into their cages. They like to get underneath piles of hay and play amongst it, sleep in it and eat it, and won’t use racks.
I have five animals (two piggies, three rabbits) so I buy a lot of hay in bulk. When I calculate it very roughly down, just for my piggies I use an estimated amount of 2-3kg, which seems to be about 4-6lb, per week just for my piggies

You'll not know how long it lasts til you try using it. I would (and this is just me, obviously, I'm not saying this is "the" way to do it) put on autoship for every couple of weeks if you can, every month if you can't. Be prepared to have to buy some earlier, also be prepared that you may end up with extra for a while. You should be able to adjust your automatic shipping up to a point (like a few days or so before it's due to ship) and it might mean you end up with a bit too much at one point but too much is better than too little. Once you know roughly how much hay you're going through between shipments you can adjust the amount and the time to suit yourself and your guinea pigs.

I also have 2 females and my 12-pound boxes last about a month and half if that's helpful
@RedLoredAmazon, where r u able to get such large boxes?
The brands Oxbow and Small Pet Select have 50 lb boxes on Amazon, Petco, and Chewy have them. I buy orchard hay so it is a bit harder to find as they only harvest it once a year here in the US. I like to buy it when it is around $60 a box, but I've seen it as high as $120 (don't buy it at that cost!).

edit: I forgot to say that I bought 2 boxes of it so I have 100 lbs of hay right now in my house!

sorry that I'm kind of taking over the thread🙈
but once we're talking about hay, does anyone know if it can be harmful to suddenly switch from timothy to orchard? my guinea pigs aren't eating enough hay and I'm curious to see if they like orchard better

sorry that I'm kind of taking over the thread🙈
but once we're talking about hay, does anyone know if it can be harmful to suddenly switch from timothy to orchard? my guinea pigs aren't eating enough hay and I'm curious to see if they like orchard better

Its fine to switch hay over and try something new

Back