How long does a piggy to say goodbye to a fellow piggy?

Kosson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I post this in order to ask everybody how long a body of passed away piggy should be there in order to allow a bereaving piggy to properly say goodbye.

Today's afternoon one of my angel piggies called Zelie passed away. She was 3 years and 3 months old and we adopted her back in September 2021 (when she was about 6 months old) to let my guinea pig Moru (about 3 years and 11 months then) have a piggy friend.

Zelie was very healthy until Wednesday. Thursday she ate properly and she was normal, but she did not have as much energy as usual. Yesterday night we noticed that she has some water from her right nostril and though she ate some veg and hay, she was weak.
There normally Moru is not really put herself aginst Zelie (they were in each other's position and not really too near to each other), but she put her body besides Zelie's body, as if she was caring Zelie.

This morning too, I found Moru was there just right besides Zelie. Zelie went to the vet and Moru went there too, for Zelie's sake.

Around 1:30pm to 2:30 pm (12:30 to 1:30pm), I gave Zelie Critical care as well as some drag that the vet prescribed. There Moru stayed in her cage.

Then I put Zelie dans le cage (which I regretted, but I had to cook...) and Moru immediately came besides Zelie. I sometimes looked at Zelie and she was breathing heavily but was alive. Moru was right there with Zelie.

Then around 3:10 pm(2:10pm GMT) Moru came out from her 'hiding' where she was with Zelie and drank some water. And then we found Zelie had passed away.

My daughter and I hugged Zelie, and we put Zelie back into the cage around 3:45 pm(2:45 pm GMT).
Moru stayed with Zelie for some time and then she started to cry ( It is I think due to the inflammation that Moru suffers) around 4:30pm (3:30pmGMT). I went there and Moru was no longer besides Zelie.

My daughter insists that Moru has understood what happened and Moru said goodbye to Zelie. So she says that there is no need to leave Zelie in the cage and better to put the body somewhere safe, before Moru damages Zelie's body.

Given this situation, it seems Moru really understands her fellow's soul is no longer there. Since 4:30pm (3:30pm GMT) I put Zelie in a carriage case and I cleaned her body and Moru stays in her cage. Moru seems to drink and eat as usual now.

I do not know if we gave Moru enough time to say goodbye. It is only for one hour after Zelie passed away. We can still put back Zelie in the cage...

I know it depends each guinea pig and also each situation, but I would be most grateful if you could share me your experience, or if you could give me some advice.

Besides,
IMG_4606.JPG

Zelie was really really kindest, most beautiful and most intelligent piggy... It was so sudden my daughter and I cannot stop crying. It is so sad but one good thing was that Zelie did not suffer longtime and until the last moment we could show our love and let Moru there for the last moment...(Zelie is the white with a beige face and Moru brown/black)

Sorry for doing a 'multi post' ... I wanted to amend some parts just to make it clearer what I wanted to ask.
I was to delete the previous one, however I do not know how I can delete/ cancel it.
Thank you for deleting the previous one if one of the moderators can do it for me.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s hard when they go downhill so quickly. I think Moru has had enough time to say goodbye, given she also moved away from her. The other thing is that sometimes they say their goodbyes early - they seem to somehow know their companion is unwell.

Moru should be okay for a few weeks. If she does appear like she is pining for her friend then you will have to consider a friend sooner rather than later.

Look after yourselves as well and do take time to grieve.

I am really sorry to hear this.
Moru would have been aware that lovely Zelie was ill, let alone the time you gave her to say goodbye to her body.
The grieving process with the body generally lasts around 10 minutes, so even if your girl passed suddenly with no signs of deterioration Moru would have gotten a chance to say goodbye. After that it grief generally lasts around 4 days before the need to survive kicks in, things to look out for are acute pining (more about this in the guide/s attached)

If you have anything that may smell of Zelie, you can place this in the cage to give some comfort to Moru. If not, just the scent of her in the cage could/would be comforting for Moru for a couple days.

You may find these guides nice to read through, it tells you more about the next steps for you, your family and the Lovely Moru. Please also feel free to post a tribute in our rainbow bridge section, only if you want to but many find it nice.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children
Rainbow Bridge Pets
P.S - I posted this in your other post, but I have moved my reply to here and hopefully someone will be able to remove your double post when they are next online.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I agree, she has had plenty of time to say goodbye, it usually only takes them a few minutes. They usually know very early on that a companion is unwell.
I have removed your duplicate post

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s hard when they go downhill so quickly. I think Moru has had enough time to say goodbye, given she also moved away from her. The other thing is that sometimes they say their goodbyes early - they seem to somehow know their companion is unwell.

Moru should be okay for a few weeks. If she does appear like she is pining for her friend then you will have to consider a friend sooner rather than later.

Look after yourselves as well and do take time to grieve.
Thank you for your reply and kind words. Yes I cannot believe that two days ago she was there listening to my daughter and me talking to each other, and even the beginning of afternoon she was there.

Moru seems to care Zelie especially since last night. When I wanted to take a photo, she literally protected her from the nasty black camera.

Moru looks sad... We cuddled her for nearly one hour. As for adopting a friend, honestly I am not sure... Moru is nearly six years old (but I do know even so she does need a / some friends) and I have nobody I can rely on as piggy carer, for even a couple of days... It is a dilemma. But yes, Moru became definitely much happier since Zelie joined her.

I miss Zelie already, she was really a sweetest and most intelligent piggy who gave us lots of funny and sweet memories.

I am so sorry for your loss.
Holding you in my heart ♥️
I agree with the other comments about how long it takes a piggy to say goodbye

I am really sorry to hear this.
Moru would have been aware that lovely Zelie was ill, let alone the time you gave her to say goodbye to her body.
The grieving process with the body generally lasts around 10 minutes, so even if your girl passed suddenly with no signs of deterioration Moru would have gotten a chance to say goodbye. After that it grief generally lasts around 4 days before the need to survive kicks in, things to look out for are acute pining (more about this in the guide/s attached)

If you have anything that may smell of Zelie, you can place this in the cage to give some comfort to Moru. If not, just the scent of her in the cage could/would be comforting for Moru for a couple days.

You may find these guides nice to read through, it tells you more about the next steps for you, your family and the Lovely Moru. Please also feel free to post a tribute in our rainbow bridge section, only if you want to but many find it nice.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children
Rainbow Bridge Pets
P.S - I posted this in your other post, but I have moved my reply to here and hopefully someone will be able to remove your double post when they are next online.
Thank you so much for every words you gave me.

I read the Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig and I will pay attention to Moru. It is very informative and thank you for letting me know. Given that Moru is already suffering (cyst and cyst-related inflammation of anus) from her own condition, I really will take care of her.

I have a small guinea pig toy so I will put it besides Zelie's body... for Moru. Zelie never had a strong smell, but I guess Moru can smell Zelie...

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I agree, she has had plenty of time to say goodbye, it usually only takes them a few minutes. They usually know very early on that a companion is unwell.
I have removed your duplicate post
Thank you for having removed the another post and for your reply.
It is assuring to know that we gave Moru enough time to say goodbye to Zelie.

I feel acute pain but I guess so does Moru... only she does not cry with tears like us... I will take care of her.

I am so sorry for your loss.
Holding you in my heart ♥️
I agree with the other comments about how long it takes a piggy to say goodbye
Thank you Marab,

It is really lovely to know that Moru had plenty of time to say goodbye. I still feel Zelie is just around us...

I am so sorry for your sad loss.
Sending you my very best wishes at such a sad time.
Thank you so much,

I see you said goodbye to many piggies... Hopefully Zelie joined them and having a wonderful time at the rainbow bridge.

Thank you so much,

I see you said goodbye to many piggies... Hopefully Zelie joined them and having a wonderful time at the rainbow bridge.
I hope so. I like to think of all my past piggies together having fun, running around those green fields.

I hope so. I like to think of all my past piggies together having fun, running around those green fields.
I see one of your rainbow gang piggies called Spike 1st ... we called Zelie 'Zelie Fischer 1st' as she had a Queen-like atmosphere around her.
I said goodbye to very caring and very pretty Kosson in June 2019... Even though Zelie never met her, I hope they finally have a chance to see each other, eating heads of hay that both loved so much and popcorn jumping !

Thank you for your reply and kind words. Yes I cannot believe that two days ago she was there listening to my daughter and me talking to each other, and even the beginning of afternoon she was there.

Moru seems to care Zelie especially since last night. When I wanted to take a photo, she literally protected her from the nasty black camera.

Moru looks sad... We cuddled her for nearly one hour. As for adopting a friend, honestly I am not sure... Moru is nearly six years old (but I do know even so she does need a / some friends) and I have nobody I can rely on as piggy carer, for even a couple of days... It is a dilemma. But yes, Moru became definitely much happier since Zelie joined her.

I miss Zelie already, she was really a sweetest and most intelligent piggy who gave us lots of funny and sweet memories.
Guinea pigs do grieve, much like us so it is not unusual for her to show signs of this. If she stops eating etc. or acting differently (acute pining or loneliness) then this is when you would be worried.

Although I can definitely understand your apprehension with getting her a new friend, we have a guinea pig on here who just celebrated her 9th birthday, so you could imagine that could become some quite lonely years. Perhaps you could contact a rescue and either foster (look after the pig until your older girl passes) or find a similar aged friend. It is up to you totally, and you will have some time to think about it, if she does not become lonely or show signs of such.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this time x

I'm really sorry for your loss. I think you gave her enough time to say her goodbyes. Guinea pigs seems to stay with the body for awhile, sometimes will groom the face and ears. When they move away, it's generally because they understand what's happened and it's okay to take the body away.

((HUGS)) and so sorry for your loss.

Back