How long did it take your pigs to warm up to you?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cavylover101
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cavylover101

I got my pigs 4 days ago and they are already starting to trust me way more than day one, but how long did it take your pigs to stop running from you when you tried to pick them up and how long did it take before you heard your first whistle?

All of our piggies have been different. Hamish and Bumble got used to us within a week. Rimmer he was tame as he had been handled from birth and was so used to life with a family :smitten: Blossom and Treacle where both pregnant on arrivel here Blossom was a chilled out girl and did not mind being handled she is now as tame as Rimmer,Hamish and Bumble :smitten: Treacle now she was a timid tiny frightened piggie who had never been handled. While she was pregnant she became less scared and would always give piggie kisses :smitten: then sadly I came down one morning to find she had given birth to one huge very clean but dead baby :'( I rushed Treacle to the vet thankfully she pulled through but after that she became the same timid little piggie again :'( she is ok with me but she is not as out going as the others but this just makes me love her all the more :)

I've had mine for about 6 or 7 weeks. After 2 weeks Treacle was calmer, would take food from my fingers and has been ok being picked up since then. Scampy on the other hand, hates being picked up, won't be tempted out of his house by food and legs it when ever I walk past the cage.

I've had my piggie for around 4 or 5 weeks now (LOL it was definately the first weekend of the school summer holidays here in Scotland) and I'd say it's been this week that he has come out his shell.
He still doesn't like my husband, and still runs when we need to catch him but definately he's happier trundling about the house, squeaks more etc

Ah, you're a Scot as well, flm1977? I'm a Fifer! My first piggie was a lone pig and he took about two months to be okay with being handled. He is a very grumpy piggie and only really likes being handled by me though. He will stand still to let me pick him up and sometimes actually 'summons' me to the cage to let me know he wants picked up. My little pig I've had for nearly 4 weeks is still very nervous yet and has taken to hiding his head under a pile of hay when I approach the cage, as though I can't see his big bottom sticking out the other end! Bless him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back