How Long Before My Piggies Are Less Skittish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esther Matthews

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have 3 piggies that are approx 10 weeks old (but one is massive compared to the others?!). I got them from a local petting farm that has a great reputation for their animals. I went down this route thinking they would be well handled by the time I got them so my 5 year old could hold them just like he does with the ones at his school. But they are so skittish, they have been home for 6 days now and while they are very happy in their run and eating well they are definitely not in the market for me even stroking them let alone picking them up. How long would it take before I could do this, I just don't want to miss a window of opportunity that's all, it would be a shame if I'd left them to bed in and should have been handling them. I've sat in an empty paddling pool with them today while I read a book and they just got used to me!

It depends on the pig. Some can be bold from day 1, and I've had a pig who lived to almost 6 and never wanted me near him.

Slow and steady is the way to progress. Talk to them, be around them. Try to feed them in the cage. Then they'll slowly realise that you aren't going to hurt them.

Being afraid of being picked up is natural to them all, and most pigs never really get over it. They're a prey animal so it's their reaction to run. You can use beds or a tunnel/tube to pick them up.

If you are kind and loving and go at their pace then they'll eventually come round. How comfortable they'll be overall you can never be certain.

I could have written your post. I have three young boars which I got from the SSPCA when they were about 9 weeks old, and one is bigger than the others. They are now about 15 weeks. They were also very skittish, but this is normal. My three have a big run, so I sit in it and hand feed them some of their nuggets (from their daily allowance) in the morning. They now come running to 'my' end of the run and wheek for me, climb up on my lap and eat from my hand, but picking them up with my hands is still a challenge. I started by gently stroking the tops of their noses when I'm feeding them like this, and they are getting more and more comfortable with this. The biggest one now lets me stroke him properly (but still takes off if he thinks I'm going to lift him). Like Jaycey said, I try to get them in a small area to pick them up so that I'm not chasing them all over, as this just gets them frightened. I also pick them up for cuddles for a few minutes at time, a couple of times a day (I work full time, or I'd do this more often), but put them back when they start getting very fidgety. They are lasting longer each day, and 'Little Dude', my wee boy even fell asleep in my arms the other day, so persevere Esther, hopefully it will get easier with your lovely babies too. Food is the key!

I could have written your post. I have three young boars which I got from the SSPCA when they were about 9 weeks old, and one is bigger than the others. They are now about 15 weeks. They were also very skittish, but this is normal. My three have a big run, so I sit in it and hand feed them some of their nuggets (from their daily allowance) in the morning. They now come running to 'my' end of the run and wheek for me, climb up on my lap and eat from my hand, but picking them up with my hands is still a challenge. I started by gently stroking the tops of their noses when I'm feeding them like this, and they are getting more and more comfortable with this. The biggest one now lets me stroke him properly (but still takes off if he thinks I'm going to lift him). Like Jaycey said, I try to get them in a small area to pick them up so that I'm not chasing them all over, as this just gets them frightened. I also pick them up for cuddles for a few minutes at time, a couple of times a day (I work full time, or I'd do this more often), but put them back when they start getting very fidgety. They are lasting longer each day, and 'Little Dude', my wee boy even fell asleep in my arms the other day, so persevere Esther, hopefully it will get easier with your lovely babies too. Food is the key!
Thanks Reenie, I'll take that all on board and see how we go. Think I'll try the towel lifting next time and may have to get the hammer and nails out to make something more designed for adults to sit in (morning sure my paddling pool will survive sharp little nails!).

It depends on the pig. Some can be bold from day 1, and I've had a pig who lived to almost 6 and never wanted me near him.

Slow and steady is the way to progress. Talk to them, be around them. Try to feed them in the cage. Then they'll slowly realise that you aren't going to hurt them.

Being afraid of being picked up is natural to them all, and most pigs never really get over it. They're a prey animal so it's their reaction to run. You can use beds or a tunnel/tube to pick them up.

If you are kind and loving and go at their pace then they'll eventually come round. How comfortable they'll be overall you can never be certain.
Lovely, thanks for all the advice, now I know not to worry too much.

This has helped so much and it wasn't even my post!

Thanks Reenie, I'll take that all on board and see how we go. Think I'll try the towel lifting next time and may have to get the hammer and nails out to make something more designed for adults to sit in (morning sure my paddling pool will survive sharp little nails!).
Hope it goes well x

Young piggies tend to be nervous, skittish, and very fast. The guinea pig your child is accustomed to at school is probably much older and more sedate and has probably been handled a lot.

There are different methods of making friends with new pigs. Some people like to coax pigs to take food from your fingers. Others try to pick them up as painlessly as possible (sometimes in a box or a cozy) and hold them even if they are skittish. Personally, I try to hold new pigs for a short time each day (after giving them a few days to settle in), even if they dislike being picked up. I will let them burrow in a blanket so they feel more secure and will offer treats, etc. so that they associate good things with lap time. I do find they come around fairly quickly once nothing bad happens, though a lot of pigs still dislike the feeling of being 'caught' when being picked up even if they like being held (it cuts very close to their instincts as a prey animal to run from anything trying to scoop them up!)

I also have kids (though mine are now older, when we got our first pigs they were 6, 4, and 2.) At this stage if you want to let your child hold the pigs, I would make sure you are right there, since young pigs can startle and nip or startle and run pretty easily, and they will dart in all directions. To avoid either the pig or your child being hurt, I would let the pig hide in a blanket and shadow your child very closely (I would always sit my child on the couch, but the pig and blanket in their lap, and then kneel on the floor in front of them facing the child and pig, to make sure I could see what was going on and to physically be a block in case a pig got startled and decided to run forwards and off the edge of the couch.)

Hope this helps a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back