How long before attempting to bond?

Spaghetti & Noodles

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
So as it says really how long would you leave it to let a pig grieve before attempting a bonding?
We lost spaghetti last Sunday so miss noodle is now on her own but with Mr pig next door for company, when we got Mr Pig initially and attempted to bond them all it was spaghetti who was not happy, noodle didn't appear interested or bothered. That was a couple of years ago so I know it may well be different if we attempt it again and I've re-read the guides so know about neutral areas, cleaning etc if goes ok.
I know they can both be happy just being neighbours but thought it might be nice if they could live together.

Aw I’m so sorry you have lost spaghetti 😞 It would be lovely if Noodle and Mr Pig could live together. I don’t think there’s any particular timeframe as how long you should wait but if it were me, the sooner the better and they’ve already been living as neighbours for quite some time so will hopefully bond 🙂 x

So as it says really how long would you leave it to let a pig grieve before attempting a bonding?
We lost spaghetti last Sunday so miss noodle is now on her own but with Mr pig next door for company, when we got Mr Pig initially and attempted to bond them all it was spaghetti who was not happy, noodle didn't appear interested or bothered. That was a couple of years ago so I know it may well be different if we attempt it again and I've re-read the guides so know about neutral areas, cleaning etc if goes ok.
I know they can both be happy just being neighbours but thought it might be nice if they could live together.

Hi

I am very sorry for your loss.

The ideal window for companionship is about 1-4 weeks for any piggies for most piggies that continue to eat and drink (acute pining is thankfully actually very rare). For neutering (post-op wait) or a special soluation/new companion, it is worth waiting for longer for the sake of long term happiness. Living alongside if possible is a good stop gap measure or long term solution if a bonding is not coming off.

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

All the best.

Hi

I am very sorry for your loss.

The ideal window for companionship is about 1-4 weeks for any piggies for most piggies that continue to eat and drink (acute pining is thankfully actually very rare). For neutering (post-op wait) or a special soluation/new companion, it is worth waiting for longer for the sake of long term happiness. Living alongside if possible is a good stop gap measure or long term solution if a bonding is not coming off.

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

All the best.
Thank you for your advice.
Mr pig came to us neutered so no waiting there, Noodle seems ok at present so I'll have to make some time to give it a go. 🤞🤞

Crack on! It would be lovely to see Miss Noddle and Mr Pig bonded and living together. 💙❤️

Thank you for your advice.
Mr pig came to us neutered so no waiting there, Noodle seems ok at present so I'll have to make some time to give it a go. 🤞🤞

If you have both piggies at home, just push the cages next to each other or put a divider into the bigger cage right now. Then take it from there. Give Noodle time to grieve while you look after yourself as well but with company through the bars you can take your mind off and concentrate on yourself while you need to.

Back